Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major battery drain since upgrading to iIOS 13.5.1

Hi all

Ive noticed that I’m seeing major battery drain since upgrading my iPhone 11 Pro to IOS 13.5.1, anyone else experiencing the same thing? I cant work our what is causing the drain. Doesn’t appear to be a app that is draining the battery

Ive lost 2% battery just typing his message.

Any suggestions or anyone else having this issue?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 8:48 PM

60 replies

Jun 6, 2020 8:04 AM in response to paulmic2011

paulmic2011 wrote:

Update from my side. I downgraded to iOS 13.5 and restored from iCloud backup. The exact same issue exists so I honestly don’t know what to do.

Which pretty much demonstrates that it isn’t specifically 13.5.1.

You image shows a lot of app store activity. If you restored the phone it needs to redownload all of the apps, so maybe just wait a day and see it it goes back to normal.

If you tap on that image it will display additional information for each app.

Here is some basic troubleshooting for this problem; test after each:

• Wait a day for any housekeeping tasks associated with the update to complete
  • Restart your phone—>Restart your iPhone - Apple Support
  • Force restart your phone: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
  • Kill all apps in the quick-launch window—>How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support, then restart the phone.
  • Restore the phone to factory settings, then restore your backup, but do not turn on iCloud sync switches. After a day if it is OK turn on iCloud sync switches that you had on.
  • Restore the phone to factory settings, and do not restore your backup and do not turn on iCloud sync immediately. Wait a day, then turn it on.

Jun 23, 2020 12:18 PM in response to paulmic2011

My battery issues since upgrading to IOS 13.5.1 just keeps getting worse. Almost 2 weeks later after the dreaded update I have done literally every troubleshooting step possible including:

1. restore iOS via DFU mode (multiple times)!!
  2. restore from backup after reloading firmware as well as setting up as a new phone (twice?
  3. battery calibration
  4. downgrade to 13.5
  5. back to 13.5.1
  6. rinse, recycle and repeat
  7. currently on day 3 of a super clean fresh DFU mode iOS restore and setup as a new phone

the good news is well, battery is at least charging to around 93% overnight with battery optimization turned off, super frustrating. If battery optimization turned on I only get 80%....

I now have yet a new battery issue, I get a random battery drop around 55% remaining battery, drops from 55% to 35% in a matter of minutes. I have already had Apple run Diagnostics (instore and during a chat) and they don’t pick up any issues and won’t repair/replace, I give up :(

any ideas what to do here? Don’t say restore the firmware...

before iOS 13.5.1 I have never had any issues like this on my iPhone X or iPhone 11 Pro.

Jun 10, 2020 6:23 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

The exact same issue exists so I honestly don’t know what to do. I’m at the point not of setting up my iPhone from scratch “as a new phone” and sacrificing all my content etc. so I can start from scratch to see what the issue is. Battery was on 6 percent last night, plugged in my iPhone 11 Pro to the supplied fast charger and this morning when I unplugged at 8am it was on 79%, not 100% as I was expecting. My wife’s iPhone X doesn’t have this issue and charges perfectly to 100% overnight on iOS 13.5. Battery has dropped 3 percent in less than 15 minutes (see attached) and I have barely used the phone. This is a 2 month old iPhone 11 Pro.. help :(

[Edited by Moderator]

Jun 7, 2020 10:29 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I have now tested with and without battery optimization, battery won’t charge past 80%. Plugged in last night around 9:30pm, woke up at 7am and it’s at 80%, this was with battery optimization on. Attached image.

What doesn’t make sense is this was all working when I was on 13.4.1, ie battery optimization, charging past 80% etc. only when I upgraded to 13.5 did these issues start. Now I need to take in my phone and Apple wont swop it out immediately, they will send away for a week to some repair workshop leaving me without a phone....

Jul 5, 2020 3:30 PM in response to paulmic2011

Same here. On Friday I installed an update of the Corona-warm-app.

This seems to have triggered something that iOS got mad.

complete freezes in Apps like google maps which have been running fine before.

I found out, that music app started with background activity on Friday 2020/07/03 and is draining an huge amount of battery within 10 minutes. I did not use music app at all.

so by now my Workaround is to disable Bluetooth, disable mobile data for music, background activity has been disabled before so this does not Stopp music running in background.

restarting did not help. As I am traveling right now I can not check any deeper with Xcode. and can’t restore from backup.

disabling Bluetooth and mobile data seem to help at the moment but still major drain is bg activity from music.

Jun 4, 2020 12:18 PM in response to paulmic2011

There is nothing in 13.5.1 that could possibly affect battery drain, so look for some other reason the battery is draining.

Regarding charging past 80%, if you fast charge the phone it will stop at 80% to allow the phone to cool off. It will resume when safe, but at a much slower rate. So after it reaches 80% give it a good hour to see if it resumes. But the absolute best practice is to charge the phone overnight, so you won’t even see the rate of charge. It also reduces demands on the battery because background processes will use mains power instead of battery, ultimately reducing the total number of full charge cycles of the battery.

Jun 5, 2020 2:00 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I agree with you Lawrence, there “should” be no reason why there is battery drain because 13.5.1 didn’t have any changes that could impact your battery. What I can say is that since upgrading to 13.5.1, I am having major issues that I have immediately noticed. I haven’t added any new apps so can’t be that as a reason. First issue is I’m noticing battery drain, previously after an entire day I would have 60/70% battery remain with minimal use, I know have around 25/30% battery with the same usage pattern. Secondly, my battery won’t charge overnight to 100%, this is definitely a new bug, something is definitely not right. Prior to 13.5.1 it would charge to 100% by the morning when I woke up, not randomly between 83 and 88%. Even if u turn off battery optimization, you guessed it, exactly the same thing. Given the above, it’s definitely iOS related.

Jun 5, 2020 7:45 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I agree Lawrence. There's nothing in the release notes that would indicate that there's anything to cause this issue; however, when updating is the ONLY change... and you begin to see a 10% an hour drop in your battery with NO significant usage, and no changes... and reverting to 13.5 causes that behavior to end... again with NO other changes... it indicates that there is some issue in 13.5.1 that causes it.

I have restored both of my iPhone XR handsets to 13.5 and the behavior has stopped and they've returned to "normal" battery consumption.

Jun 5, 2020 8:00 AM in response to Laurie in iowa

Several hundred million users have updated. If it was a problem in the version there would be thousands of posts about it, as well as headlines in every major (and minor) tech publication, and probably Forbes, who hate Apple. Yes, it happened after you updated, but that doesn’t mean it is a problem with the version. It means that something went wrong in the update process. Going back over 12 years, every time there has been an update a few phones show additional battery drain, and the owners of those phone know ABSOLUTELY AND POSITIVELY that the update is defective. If everyone is right then Apple has never released a working iOS version. Even recently, there were several posts about iOS 13.5 causing battery drain. But that clearly was not your experience.

So why did going back to 13.5 fix it? Because to do that you must wipe the phone and install the previous version from scratch. That means that “clean” copies of all built in and 3rd party apps had to be reloaded from the App Store. If you had wiped the phone and re-installed 12.5.1 it probably would have fixed it also.

In most cases battery problems after an update (especially an over the air update) are caused by an app or apps that did not respond correctly to the update. The best approach is a structured analysis, by checking which apps are using the most energy in Settings/Battery, then dealing with those apps, either by deleting and reinstalling them, or sometimes just force-quitting them.

The real concern is that there is a very serious vulnerability in 13.5 that would allow a hacker to jailbreak and take control of your phone, including installing spyware on it, without you being able to detect that this happened. That’s why 13.5.1 was released only a few days after 13.5.0. So by rolling back to 13.5 you have left yourself vulnerable. Before 13.5.1 was released the vulnerability was known to only a few people. But once the release became available every hacker in the world now knows about it.

Jun 5, 2020 12:01 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Over millions of handsets of varying processors, used in various ways... it's nearly impossible to determine what causes these symptoms sporadically across the board and across handset platforms; why one handset is affected and another isn't by the same version. However, when two identical handsets running very different apps, with no other changes made BUT the IOS version upgrade have identical performance degradation in exactly the same way, it's hard to NOT point at the IOS upgrade. You are certainly free to think otherwise, and I'm pleased that you apparently have the free time to do nothing but troubleshoot your phone issues. If you'd like to troubleshoot mine as well, c'mon over. Until then, I need the "it just works" version of IOS. Having a battery drain from full charge to zero with only light usage in twelve hours on 13.5.1 just isn't tenable when it would go as long as three days between charges on 13.5.

And quite frankly, if Apple was paying me to figure out exactly what was going on, I'd probably be willing to spend more time at it. I'm reporting the symptom, incrementally recognizing that one handset stopped the symptoms after downgrading, and the other continued to exhibit those symptoms until it was downgraded... and it stopped exhibiting those symptoms as well after the downgrade.

If some engineer wants to get involved in this further, that's fine and I'll be happy to help them. The vulnerability patch install is a bigger problem on my phones than the vulnerability it fixes. And there's apparently a simple fix for the time being... and that's just not to do the upgrade.

The bottom line is that after the install on two phones, there was problematic behavior. The behavior stopped after reverting back to the earlier version, which was all I was after. My handsets are acting normally again. At this point I'll wait for IOS 14 to upgrade again.

[Edited by Moderator]

Major battery drain since upgrading to iIOS 13.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.