Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panic When Trying to Install OS X 10.5 or 10.6 on Mac Pro 3,1

I've got a Mac Pro 3,1 with 10.11.6 currently installed and I'm trying to get 10.5 or 10.6 installed on a separate drive to mess around with older software and what not, but I keep having issues trying to install either of them. I've bought three different install disks, and they all produce similar failed results. I have a 10.5 family pack disk, a 10.6 disk from a iLife, iWork, and OS X box set, and 10.5.4 gray install disk. I know that the 3,1 Mac Pro originally shipped with 10.5.1, but I did some digging around on the gray disk and found that it should be compatible with the 3,1.

When trying to install 10.5 with either disk from Finder, I get the first screen shot. If I restart and do nothing, my boot drive loads and nothing else happens. When trying to boot from either disk, I get the Apple logo on a gray background momentarily and then a kernel panic.

When trying to install 10.6 from Finder, I get the second screenshot and that's that. When trying to boot from the install disk, I get a kernel panic as like the other disks.

Lastly, I've tried running OSInstall.mpkg from the System/Installation/Packages directory on every disk, and get the error in the third screenshot.

I've tried pretty much everything I've found on other posts and forums, and nothing seems to work. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 8:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 6:05 AM

That look similar to the other one, panic with graphics drivers present.

The drivers for GTX 680 first appeared in 10.8.

The GT120 was an option on the new 2009 model, so it may require something beyond 10.5.4.

Similar questions

13 replies

Kernel Panic When Trying to Install OS X 10.5 or 10.6 on Mac Pro 3,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.