You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud not backing up everything

Why is my 200gb iCloud account only backing up part of my media. It has only backed up 4K out of my 12k photos and 150 of my 450 videos. I am getting a replacement phone and need to figure out how to transfer everything on this phone to the new one successfully.

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 1:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 1:39 AM

Just to be clear - do you mean, iCloud is not syncing all of your photos with the iCloud Photos Library? I am asking, because you used the word "backup".

iCloud Photos is not a backup of your photos, it is syncing your photos between iCloud and other devices using iCloud Photos. To get a backup of your photos, where you can recover accidentally deleted photos, you need an additional copy of your photos, that is not syncing any errors you make to the copy of the photos, so copy the photos to a computer. The big problem is, that your regular iCloud backup of your iPhone will no longer include your photos, once you start using iCloud Photos, you will have no backup at all, unless you copy the photos to a computer.

You can use the iCloud Photos Library to transfer your Photos and videos to the new iPhone and to keep the photos on both devices identical. There are two common reasons for the photos not uploading to iCloud Photos.

• Lack of iCloud Storage: Do you have still enough free storage in iCloud? Your iCloud Storage is also used for the backup of your iPhone, for your mail, your music, books, and other data, and your videos may need a lot of storage. Please check the free storage.
  • Incompatible items in your Photos Library: You may have items in your Photos Library, saved from WhatsApp or other sources, that are not compatible with iCloud. Such items can block the upload to iCloud Photos. If you have items, that have not been taken with the iPhone camera in your library, save them to a computer or to iCloud Drive and remove them from Photos on the iPhone.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 4, 2020 1:39 AM in response to madi162

Just to be clear - do you mean, iCloud is not syncing all of your photos with the iCloud Photos Library? I am asking, because you used the word "backup".

iCloud Photos is not a backup of your photos, it is syncing your photos between iCloud and other devices using iCloud Photos. To get a backup of your photos, where you can recover accidentally deleted photos, you need an additional copy of your photos, that is not syncing any errors you make to the copy of the photos, so copy the photos to a computer. The big problem is, that your regular iCloud backup of your iPhone will no longer include your photos, once you start using iCloud Photos, you will have no backup at all, unless you copy the photos to a computer.

You can use the iCloud Photos Library to transfer your Photos and videos to the new iPhone and to keep the photos on both devices identical. There are two common reasons for the photos not uploading to iCloud Photos.

• Lack of iCloud Storage: Do you have still enough free storage in iCloud? Your iCloud Storage is also used for the backup of your iPhone, for your mail, your music, books, and other data, and your videos may need a lot of storage. Please check the free storage.
  • Incompatible items in your Photos Library: You may have items in your Photos Library, saved from WhatsApp or other sources, that are not compatible with iCloud. Such items can block the upload to iCloud Photos. If you have items, that have not been taken with the iPhone camera in your library, save them to a computer or to iCloud Drive and remove them from Photos on the iPhone.

Jun 4, 2020 2:36 AM in response to madi162

As per the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201302

* The photos and videos that you keep in iCloud Photos use your iCloud storage. Before you turn on iCloud Photos, make sure that you have enough space in iCloud to store your entire collection. You can see how much space you need and then upgrade your storage plan if necessary.

When a new iPhone is purchased and set up https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202033

Use the same Apple ID and password of old iPhone and sign in new iPhone and set up iCloud https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT208681

And turn on icloud photos the photos will start syncing https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/use-icloud-photos-iph961b96c4d/ios

Jun 4, 2020 3:15 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for your response.

I am not sure how it all works to be perfectly honest. I was told in order to save all my media I need to back up my phone to iCloud. I purchase the extra 200gb to ensure I had plenty of space. Then I tried to back up my phone through I cloud back up twice and it said it was successful, and only said that 15.8gb of 200gb has been taken up. However when I visited iCloud.com only 4,858 photos and 144 videos were shown. But on my iPhone I have 12,617 photos and 440 videos.

you mentioned you have to use the iCloud Photo Library, is that another app I have to download or how would I see that to transfer photos?

icloud not backing up everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.