Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to check for update. Checking for software update failed because you are not connected to the internet

As you can see, I was able to post this message, so I’m connected to the internet. But no matter what I do, I can’t use my Apple Watch.

I turned it off and then turned on, same with the phone. Just doesn’t work! Keeps repeating the same message and I’m connected.

how can I fix this?

My iPhone is an IPhone X

my watch is series 3

both are connected to the power and with more than 50% charge.

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 1:53 AM

3 replies

Jun 5, 2020 8:06 PM in response to thaisqueiroz

Hello, thaisqueiroz.

I understand that, when attempting to update your Apple Watch, you are encountering an error indicating that the device isn’t connected to the Internet. I’m glad to help.

An Apple Watch update can be initiated from either the Apple Watch itself or from the iPhone. From the screenshot, it looks like you are trying from the iPhone. So, I would go ahead and try it directly from the Apple Watch. You will find more details here: Update your Apple Watch. There are some other great troubleshooting steps for update issues in the article as well.

I hope this helps!

Be Well.

Jun 10, 2020 4:30 PM in response to thaisqueiroz

thaisqueiroz,

Understood. Thank you for clarifying.

There are a few things I would like for you to try.

First, please make sure that the iPhone is up-to-date with the latest version of iOS.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

I would next ensure that both the Apple Watch and the iPhone have been restarted.

Restart your Apple Watch

Restart your iPhone 

Please check that both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are enabled on your iPhone.

Use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center

If, after verifying all of this, you are still unable to update, I would go ahead and contact Apple Support.

I wish you all the best.

Stay safe.

Jun 10, 2020 11:29 AM in response to .avih

Avih,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I tried all this steps and didn’t work neither.

my friend gave me her Apple Watch she didn’t use it. So she never updated it. So, there is no option of self update at settings. It has to be done by the phone.

the problem is that all the phones I have are updated and don’t recognize the old update of the watch. So it doesn’t pair searching for an update and showing this message after long minutes of wait.

i tried on iPhone 6 and the Apple watched paired, but just after it shows that it need to be updated. When I clicked, it ask to update the phone first. By the moment the phone is updated, then I can’t use the watch anymore. Keeps saying the same message. In different phones.

Unable to check for update. Checking for software update failed because you are not connected to the internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.