Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I erase the hard drive on a 2003 iMac?

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 8:48 AM

Does the 2003 iMac start?

If the iMac has FireWire ports (it should) and you have another working mac that also has FireWire, you can use Target Disk Mode to access the drive in the old computer and use the new computer's install of Disk Utility to access the 2003 disk.

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

I've used TDM to install the DVD-based OS in old Macs that had bad optical drives.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2020 8:48 AM in response to WhoeverIIs

Does the 2003 iMac start?

If the iMac has FireWire ports (it should) and you have another working mac that also has FireWire, you can use Target Disk Mode to access the drive in the old computer and use the new computer's install of Disk Utility to access the 2003 disk.

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

I've used TDM to install the DVD-based OS in old Macs that had bad optical drives.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.