Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation issue

I am trying to install MacOS High Sierra and with 2 minutes remaining I am getting a message "Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install". Please help me.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 1:29 PM

8 replies

Jun 4, 2020 1:59 PM in response to sweetsherra

sweetsherra Said:

"Installation issue: I am trying to install MacOS High Sierra and with 2 minutes remaining I am getting a message "Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install". Please help me."

-------

A Few Thoughts:

A. Use: Mac OS Extended (Journaled):

If APFS does not work, try using: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the File System

B. Use: macOS High Sierra Installer:

Download and use the macOS High Sierra installer from the App Store.

C. Use a USB Bootable Installer:

I. Using Another Mac: Create a bootable installer for High Sierra:

Ask Another Mac Owner (if you have no other Mac to use), if you may use their Mac to create it. Be certain they are there with you while you create it. Examples of whom to ask: Friend, Family Member, Co-Work, Peer, etc.

II. Once Created - Boot From It:

1. Hold Down: Option or Alt key to start up into Startup Manager
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Use: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  4. Erase: "(Macintosh) HD"
  5. Go Back: into Disk Utility
  6. Select: "Install macOS"

Jun 4, 2020 6:04 PM in response to sweetsherra

Well, there are 11 different models with that designation:

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=A1466

Choosing one at random (a 2017), it shows that it came with Sierra (10.12). You said it came with High Sierra? So that is confusing especially since you are trying to install High Sierra.

And, another point, what is your drive/SSD's format? Is it Mac OS Extended (which is what Sierra would have) or how did it get to be APFS? It should be Mac OS Extended when you start the install.

Installation issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.