Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen does not auto rotate

new ipod touch 7th generation does not auto rotate screen. Looked up support and it says to press home button twice to get multitasking bar. My ipod does not do that. I do not get a multitasking bar, it's just blank at the bottom, so i cannot find the lock/unlock icon?

iPod Touch

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 10:11 AM

cliff110 wrote:

Looked up support and it says to press home button twice to get multitasking bar.

• The instructions I looked up said to open the Control Center (US spelling) by swiping up from the bottom edge of the screen. You will see a screen similar to the one shown below:

• In the Control Centre you will see the rotate icon, which is a padlock with an arrow wrapped round it (left hand side, just above the text that says Screen Mirroring)
  • When the icon has a dark background, with white icon and padlock open, rotate lock is off (so screen can rotate)
  • White background, with red icon and closed padlock means the screen lock is on - the screen will not rotate
  • Below is a combined view, showing both options:

• Apple appear to call the option two slightly different names:
    • in the user manual - screen orientation
    • on the iPod's Control Center setting - Portrait Orientation Lock
  • Notice the feature's name: Portrait Orientation Lock. You can lock the iPod in portrait mode, but you cannot lock it in landscape mode

• Note that only certain screens or apps will rotate. Unlike an Android device, the Home screens do not rotate (or at least, they don't on my 6th generation Touch, running iOS 12.4.7)
  • Some of the apps that will rotate:
    • Books
    • Notes
    • Safari
  • Some of the apps that do not rotate (as far as I can tell)
    • Music
    • Reminders
    • Clock
    • App Store
    • iTunes Store

Some apps, such as camera will auto-rotate regardless of the screen rotate setting.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2020 10:11 AM in response to cliff110

cliff110 wrote:

Looked up support and it says to press home button twice to get multitasking bar.

• The instructions I looked up said to open the Control Center (US spelling) by swiping up from the bottom edge of the screen. You will see a screen similar to the one shown below:

• In the Control Centre you will see the rotate icon, which is a padlock with an arrow wrapped round it (left hand side, just above the text that says Screen Mirroring)
  • When the icon has a dark background, with white icon and padlock open, rotate lock is off (so screen can rotate)
  • White background, with red icon and closed padlock means the screen lock is on - the screen will not rotate
  • Below is a combined view, showing both options:

• Apple appear to call the option two slightly different names:
    • in the user manual - screen orientation
    • on the iPod's Control Center setting - Portrait Orientation Lock
  • Notice the feature's name: Portrait Orientation Lock. You can lock the iPod in portrait mode, but you cannot lock it in landscape mode

• Note that only certain screens or apps will rotate. Unlike an Android device, the Home screens do not rotate (or at least, they don't on my 6th generation Touch, running iOS 12.4.7)
  • Some of the apps that will rotate:
    • Books
    • Notes
    • Safari
  • Some of the apps that do not rotate (as far as I can tell)
    • Music
    • Reminders
    • Clock
    • App Store
    • iTunes Store

Some apps, such as camera will auto-rotate regardless of the screen rotate setting.

screen does not auto rotate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.