Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to connect a hard drive with Thunderbolt 3 to a Mac with Thunderbolt 2?

How do I use the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to connect a hard drive with Thunderbolt 3 to a Mac with Thunderbolt 2?

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 5:36 PM

I will need to make one assumption and that is that the USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) connection on the Hard Drive is a female connection. Here is what I come up with-

You will need the ➔ Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter. See Image below-

The USB-C end will connect to your Hard Drive.

You will also need a ➔ Thunderbolt 2 Cable if you do not already have one.See image below-

One end of the Thunderbolt cable will go in the adapter and the other to your Mac.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2020 5:36 PM in response to mlundber

I will need to make one assumption and that is that the USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) connection on the Hard Drive is a female connection. Here is what I come up with-

You will need the ➔ Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter. See Image below-

The USB-C end will connect to your Hard Drive.

You will also need a ➔ Thunderbolt 2 Cable if you do not already have one.See image below-

One end of the Thunderbolt cable will go in the adapter and the other to your Mac.

Axel F.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.