Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I update an iPhone 4 or 5 to an iOS version higher than 10.3.4 (current version)? I do not have a Mac computer.

Can I update an iPhone 4 or 5 to an iOS version higher than 10.3.4 (current version)? I do not have a Mac computer. I have Model MD638LL/A iPhone.

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 1:19 PM

You cannot.

An iPhone 4 cannot be updated beyond iOS 7.1.2

An iPhone 4s cannot be updated beyond iOS 9.3.6

An iPhone 5 cannot be updated beyond iOS 10.3.4

Those are the maximum iOS version those iPhone models can run.

They cannot run anything newer.

4 replies

Jun 5, 2020 2:22 PM in response to Met54

Met54 wrote:

Phil0124, Thank you for the very clear and specific info. You totally answered my question, though I wish the answer was different. I still have my old phone because it is small (which I really like) but there are more and more apps that just won't run on it.

And that's going to continue until the phone is basically useful for nothing more than making and receiving phone calls. It really is time to consider a newer more modern iPhone.

Can I update an iPhone 4 or 5 to an iOS version higher than 10.3.4 (current version)? I do not have a Mac computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.