Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't install 10.13.6 because it says I need 10.13 first. How do I get this?

I understand that Apple took away old operating system downloads since offering Catalina. That happened October 25, 2019, right? So, how do I get High Sierra 10.13 without going to a third party? Somehow I managed to download macOSUpdCombo10.13.6.pkg but it's telling me I need 10.13 before I can install this 10.13.6 package. I'm downloading something I found in a news article, but I'm worried it comes through a third party. It's called "InstallOS.dmg" and didn't open a new tab so I could see where it was coming from. Is it okay to trust that this is an Apple original 10.13? If not, where do I get 10.13? Thanks. Rx

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 9:52 PM

Ok lets just concentrate on High Sierra. If you have any copy of Install macOS High Sierra.app anywhere on your mac

the App Store will detect it and will say Open in the App Store High Sierra page.

The installer you have in your screenshot is an old one that will install High Sierra version 10.13.3,

but the certificates for that have expired so will not install unless you set the date back.

If you copy this installer to a USB stick and then delete it from your mac and unplug the USB stick

the App Store should say Get or Download after you restart and reconnect.

The version of High Sierra it will download is 10.13.6.

If you can't connect by cable then make sure the mac is very close to the router, and don't use

the mac or any other devices that share the same internet connection while the download is in progress.

Your next screenshot is showing you trying to install Sierra, I'm not sure what that error means,

but it might be because you are offline and the installer wants to check with Apple for some reason.

But concentrate on High Sierra for the moment.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2020 9:52 PM in response to Roxane Assaf

Ok lets just concentrate on High Sierra. If you have any copy of Install macOS High Sierra.app anywhere on your mac

the App Store will detect it and will say Open in the App Store High Sierra page.

The installer you have in your screenshot is an old one that will install High Sierra version 10.13.3,

but the certificates for that have expired so will not install unless you set the date back.

If you copy this installer to a USB stick and then delete it from your mac and unplug the USB stick

the App Store should say Get or Download after you restart and reconnect.

The version of High Sierra it will download is 10.13.6.

If you can't connect by cable then make sure the mac is very close to the router, and don't use

the mac or any other devices that share the same internet connection while the download is in progress.

Your next screenshot is showing you trying to install Sierra, I'm not sure what that error means,

but it might be because you are offline and the installer wants to check with Apple for some reason.

But concentrate on High Sierra for the moment.

Jun 5, 2020 7:13 PM in response to Roxane Assaf

The old OS's are available.

The Combo update is just that an update for which you need a previous version of High Sierra

to already be installed on your mac.

Moving from one OS to a newer OS is called an upgrade.

What you need is the full installer which can get from here,

Please use Safari to connect to the link.

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Go to Section 4 and click on Get macOS High Sierra,

this will redirect you to the App Store High Sierra page

it should say Get or Download

this will download the full installer to your Applications folder

it should be 5.24GBs in size.

The version of High sierra is the last/ latest version available 10.13.6.

When Apple updates its OS's it removes the previous full version from the App Store,

When 10.13.6 was introduced, 10.13.5 was removed as was 10.13.4 before it and so on.

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

If the App Store says Open then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS High Sierra.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

Jun 5, 2020 7:25 PM in response to Eau Rouge

So, before I got your good replies, I had located an Apple page for a High Sierra upgrade with "Download" where the other one said "open." I canceled the other download I had going (from a help article I was reading) and started this one, but it's for 10.12.6. I'm wondering if I should cancel this one, too and just use your link to go directly to 10.13.6, which is what I ultimately need. This screenshot shows my current status:

Jun 5, 2020 9:23 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Sorry, @Eau Rouge. I don't mean to trifle with your time and expertise. I simply failed to let you know that I didn't find any other instance of that download than the one I was trying to work with (see screenshot).

Also, I don't have any ethernet jack on this Macbook Pro, so connecting to my router via cable isn't immediately possible. That being the case, I tried what @BDAqua suggested and changed the date, going offline to finish the job. Alas, I got this: "The installer payload failed signature check."

I had changed the date to January 2014. I received this message whether I was online or not.

Thank you both for your good suggestions if you know of a way forward. Rx

Jun 5, 2020 7:49 PM in response to Roxane Assaf

I have told you what to do if you see Open in the App Store High Sierra page.

In fat I have told you twice.

Here is the instructions for the third time. In Bold

Yeah if it says Open the App Store has detected a copy of Install macOS High Sierra on your mac.

Open your Applications folder and locate the Install macOS High Sierra.app and move it to your Trash, empty the Trash.

Connect your mac to your router via cable. Restart your mac and try to download High Sierra again.

Jun 6, 2020 7:09 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks again, Eau Rouge. I should tell you at once that we had this entire exchange under the impression that the terms "Sierra" and "High Sierra" were used interchangeably to refer to the same operating system upgrade, so maybe it will save you time and effort in the future to know that not everyone is aware of the nicknames. Once I finally figured that out, I proceeded in somewhat random fashion, having learned how to boot up holding down the option key so I could get the file off a USB drive instead of off my laptop. Nothing really worked until I downloaded and removed both Sierra and High Sierra a couple more times (realizing they're different!) and ended up seeing the word "Download" finally appear on the page identifying the software as High Sierra. That did the trick, but I don't know which of my random punches was the right thing. All's well that ends well. Thanks for being there. Roxane

I can't install 10.13.6 because it says I need 10.13 first. How do I get this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.