Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

printer is printing programming language instead of the document

I am using a MacBook Pro 2019 model, and the printer in my work place is a epson l1300 which is commented to the network with a print server TP-Link tl-ps310u. when I am giving the command to print form the MacBook wirelessly is prints a code instead of the actual document.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 12:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 12:33 AM

even using CUPS to setup printer gives the same result. if I use the epson driver I get the error "Filter failed" and if use the generic driver I get come code as a printout. I am attaching the picture of the printout.

11 replies

Jun 9, 2020 1:25 AM in response to TheLittles

sanyam Said:

"even using CUPS to setup printer gives the same result. if I use the epson driver I get the error "Filter failed" and if use the generic driver I get come code as a printout. I am attaching the picture of the printout."

-------

Try this Post: 'Filter' failed error when printing from EPSON. Though it was authorized 2012, its comments go all the way to 2018. See what helps on that link.

Specs of the Post:

• Jul 30, 2012 3:21 PM
  • I have this question too (2731)
  • Lots of helpful answers are on there
  • 9 Pages of replies

Jun 9, 2020 11:18 AM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:

sanyam Said:
"printer is printing programming language instead of the document thanks the problem was solved by using a 3rd party printer driver gutenprint 5.3.3."
-------

You are welcome.

A Few Important Thoughts:
• Third-Party Drivers are not Safe:
I recommend you stay away form third-party drivers. They may end up being malware (malicous software) or spyware. These are programs that make your Mac act in a mislead manor.

FYI, The Gutenprint drivers have been used by macOS in the past. It is less common to see their use today, but they are an alternative when the standard driver doesn't work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutenprint

Jun 6, 2020 8:01 PM in response to sanyam

It is hard to say. When a printer prints out garbage which looks like code it can be any one of these things:

• Incompatible file being printed

---try printing a simple text file by creating a simple test file using Text Edit to verify printer setup

If this works, then try the following:

1. Try printing the file using another app which may process the file differently for the printer
      2. Save the file into another format such as a .pdf and try printing the .pdf version
      3. File may contain a font, or some other formatting which is causing the issue

(very common when printing to an HP printer may be true for Epson as well)

(one time the document's meta data caused an HP printer to lock up printing

a document)

It can be very hard locating the problem here without lots of experimenting

usually by modifying the file until you locate the troublesome item

(make sure to modify a copy & not the original).

• Old or incorrect printer driver

--- within macOS create a new printer for this Epson printer using "Add Printer" in

System Preferences.

Try using an Air Print driver if possible, otherwise try any other driver options macOS suggests.

• Printer firmware may need updated

--- check the Epson support site for newer firmware

• Maybe an issue with your Print Server

--- try connecting the printer directly to your Mac

• Verify the printer works without a computer

--- Perform a test print using the printer's demo or selftest page or print a configuration page

using the physical menu/control panel on the printer itself.

Edit: Sorry about the formatting but the editing box doesn't show how the final copy will look. Very poor tools for formatting a response.

Jun 6, 2020 11:48 PM in response to sanyam

sanyam said:

———-

Three Thoughts:

• Power off the Printer:

Power off the Printer. Wait 30 Seconds. Next, power it back in. Perhaps there was a power spike.

• Single Out the User:

Create a new Administrator user, see if it then works with the new user. If so, it is likely something misconfigured in the current user.

• Reinstall the Printer Drivers:

Where did you get the drivers? Only download them from the Manufacturer (epson). Elsewise it could be malware or spyware you install. So, uninstall it, restart your Mac, then reinstall the printer. Get them here: EecoTank-L1300 - Downloads - Epson Support

Jun 9, 2020 10:42 AM in response to sanyam

sanyam Said:

"printer is printing programming language instead of the document thanks the problem was solved by using a 3rd party printer driver gutenprint 5.3.3."

-------

You are welcome.

A Few Important Thoughts:

• Third-Party Drivers are not Safe:

I recommend you stay away form third-party drivers. They may end up being malware (malicous software) or spyware. These are programs that make your Mac act in a mislead manor.

• Use Malwarebytes for Mac:

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

• Contact the Manufacturer:

See what the manufacturer has to stay on this. Contact them, using the Contact Us link located somewhere on their home page.

Jun 8, 2020 11:55 PM in response to sanyam

Very likely. Some print servers just aren't compatible with all printers or systems. It has been years since I tried to configure a printer connected to a print server. Have you checked for any firmware updates for your print server?

What printing protocol does macOS suggest when adding the printer? Have you tried using a different protocol?

What print driver does macOS suggest when adding the printer? Maybe you should manually choose one of the CUPS or GutenPrint drivers instead.

You can also try using the CUPS printer setup by using a web browser. Type the following URL into a browser to access the CUPS printer setup:

localhost:631

On the page which loads you need to click on "Adding Printers and Classes" under the "CUPS for Administrators" column. When you click on the "Add Printer" option a pop-up will prompt you for a macOS admin username & password. If the printer is not automatically discovered, then you need to click on one of the networking protocols and manually add it using an IP address or DNS name.

You may want to check which networking protocol Windows is using to communicate with the printer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.