Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro screen is losing its anti-glare coating; Local UK apple repair company says my laptop at 5 and a half years old is "Vintage" and spare screens are not available. Anyone else had this brush -off

My MacBook Pro screen is losing its anti-glare coating; Local UK apple repair company says my laptop at 5 and a half years old is "Vintage" and spare screens are not available. Anyone else had this brush -off? This is a well known inherent defect on the Pro retina screen and Apple should I think keep spares longer than 5 years.

MacBook Pro 13″, 10.14

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 1:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 11:05 AM

Usually Apple only supports computer hardware for five years from the date the last model is sold. After this time the product becomes "Vintage" where in the past Apple would not repair it anymore unless you lived in CA (and possibly a few other regions where local laws made Apple support the hardware longer). Very recently Apple has begun allowing Service Providers the ability to repair "Vintage" computers as long as Apple still has the necessary part(s) in stock (this is a way for Apple to get rid of all the leftover parts instead of recycling them right away). If the part was available, then it would be a paid repair because the "secret" free repair program for the anti-reflective coating issue only applies to computers less than four years old.

Here is the Apple article about the "Vintage" status and what it means:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

Vintage products are those that have not been sold for more than 5 and less than 7 years ago. Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple TV vintage products continue to receive hardware service from Apple service providers, including Apple Retail Stores, subject to availability of inventory, or as required by law.
For products purchased in France, see Statutory Warranties of Seller and Spare Parts.

Note: I added the bold underline highlights for emphasis.

You can provide Apple feedback.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2020 11:05 AM in response to Scapoli

Usually Apple only supports computer hardware for five years from the date the last model is sold. After this time the product becomes "Vintage" where in the past Apple would not repair it anymore unless you lived in CA (and possibly a few other regions where local laws made Apple support the hardware longer). Very recently Apple has begun allowing Service Providers the ability to repair "Vintage" computers as long as Apple still has the necessary part(s) in stock (this is a way for Apple to get rid of all the leftover parts instead of recycling them right away). If the part was available, then it would be a paid repair because the "secret" free repair program for the anti-reflective coating issue only applies to computers less than four years old.

Here is the Apple article about the "Vintage" status and what it means:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

Vintage products are those that have not been sold for more than 5 and less than 7 years ago. Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple TV vintage products continue to receive hardware service from Apple service providers, including Apple Retail Stores, subject to availability of inventory, or as required by law.
For products purchased in France, see Statutory Warranties of Seller and Spare Parts.

Note: I added the bold underline highlights for emphasis.

You can provide Apple feedback.

My MacBook Pro screen is losing its anti-glare coating; Local UK apple repair company says my laptop at 5 and a half years old is "Vintage" and spare screens are not available. Anyone else had this brush -off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.