Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Burning itunes purchaseses to a CD

Are you able to burn a CD for an album you purchased from the iTunes store? If so, why would mine not even give me the option to burn it from the playlist?

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 1:49 AM

Yes, you can do that—see Create CDs and DVDs in iTunes on PC. If I recall correctly the menus in iTunes may be hidden by default, but pressing Alt–F will bring down the File menu so you can select Burn Playlist to Disc.

2 replies

Jun 6, 2020 2:33 AM in response to Billblast73suc

You will have to put the album into a Playlist.

This can be a temporary if you wish. Then you can burn that Playlist to disc. Once done, you can delete the Playlist. It will not affect the songs.

"Playlist" is a specific term and iTunes has (apparently) been designed so that it can only burn CDs from "Playlists".

A playlist is simply a list of songs that you want to play (or think of) as one group, which means that in that respect, albums are "playlists". Each genre in iTunes is also "a playlist". But those "playlists" are not the same as the type that can be used to burn a CD.

So, to burn a CD, the songs have to be in the type of Playlist listed under the All Playlists heading, shown in the sidebar.

The word iTunes has two meanings as well:

• the computer programme that you have on your computer (except for those with a Mac running OS Catalina)
  • the online store, where you can buy music etc. (The iTunes Store is available from within iTunes {the programme} or via the iTunes Store app on iPods, iPhones etc.)

To put one specific album into a Playlist, you can either use:

• a Regular Playlist - you simply drag the songs into the Playlist
  • a Smart Playlist - (these have rules). To put the Chemical Brothers album We Are The Night into a Smart Playlist, the rules would look like the rules would look like the one shown below:

and the resulting Playlist, which is created for you according to the rules of the Playlist, looks like this:

No need to drag songs into a list.

I changed the view of this Playlist and confirmed that the songs are in the correct track order. You can re-arrange the order if you need to. Notice in the screenshot that Burn to Disc is no longer greyed out, but if we look in the Albums view, at the same album, Burn to Disc is still greyed out and not usable:

Burning itunes purchaseses to a CD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.