Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my iMac Dead?

Early 2014 iMac. When I turn on my iMac, I hear the start sound, the screen is black, and the status bar comes on, but it just stays there. The white line comes on for about and 16th of an inch and just stays there. I have left it for a couple of hours and came back to the same status. Tried the different things I know to get into safe mode or recovery, but since the keyboard and all that are wireless not even sure they had connected.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 3:42 PM

If your wireless keyboard is not working for Safe Mode or macOS Recovery, change the batteries and try again. If that doesn't help, then you may need to dig-up, find, barrow or buy a USB keyboard. FWIW most any USB Logitech, PC or el-cheapo brand of keyboard will work with your iMac.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2020 3:42 PM in response to ScottNWDW

If your wireless keyboard is not working for Safe Mode or macOS Recovery, change the batteries and try again. If that doesn't help, then you may need to dig-up, find, barrow or buy a USB keyboard. FWIW most any USB Logitech, PC or el-cheapo brand of keyboard will work with your iMac.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Is my iMac Dead?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.