Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it transferred by WiFi or Bluetooth when you use Airdrop? I get mixed info.

Is it transferred by WiFi or Bluetooth when you use Airdrop? I get mixed info when reading things online.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 8:00 PM

Both are used, but mainly Wifi for the transfer & BT for discovery...

How AirDrop Works

AirDrop uses an interesting combination of technologies to transfer files securely. It uses Bluetooth to find devices that you can send to, and the device you send from creates a secure peer-to-peer Wi-Fi network connection with the receiving device and transfers the file(s). This transfer does not use the Internet, nor a local Wi-Fi network; you don’t need to be on a Wi-Fi network to use AirDrop. This makes it practical anywhere, such as in the field, where you may want to transfer files from, say, an iPhone to a MacBook Pro.

https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/use-airdrop-to-securely-transfer-files-across-your-devices/

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2020 8:00 PM in response to TBrockmeyersApple

Both are used, but mainly Wifi for the transfer & BT for discovery...

How AirDrop Works

AirDrop uses an interesting combination of technologies to transfer files securely. It uses Bluetooth to find devices that you can send to, and the device you send from creates a secure peer-to-peer Wi-Fi network connection with the receiving device and transfers the file(s). This transfer does not use the Internet, nor a local Wi-Fi network; you don’t need to be on a Wi-Fi network to use AirDrop. This makes it practical anywhere, such as in the field, where you may want to transfer files from, say, an iPhone to a MacBook Pro.

https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/use-airdrop-to-securely-transfer-files-across-your-devices/

Is it transferred by WiFi or Bluetooth when you use Airdrop? I get mixed info.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.