Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air internal microphone only works for FaceTime

Until recently my internal microphone worked all the time.

Now it won't work for

a) Quicktime Audio recordings

b) Voice Memos

c) Zoom conferences

It still works for

a) FaceTime

It doesn't make any difference if

a) I switch user

b) I reinstall Catalina

c) I boot from an external Catalina volume

d) I boot from an external High Sierra volume

If the internal microphone has stopped working then I can deal with that. But why on earth does it still work for FaceTime? Does FaceTime somehow use the microphone differently to Quicktime?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 10:02 PM

HelenaRymer Said:

"MacBook Air internal microphone only works for FaceTime: Until recently my internal microphone worked all the time. [...]If the internal microphone has stopped working then I can deal with that. But why on earth does it still work for FaceTime? Does FaceTime somehow use the microphone differently to Quicktime?"

-------

Start with these Tips:

• Restart the Mac:

Perhaps you've unknowingly installed an update, and all needs to rest. For, restart the Mac. See if it then works.

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Sound) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

• Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with all settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

• Create a New Administrator:

See if creating and logging in as a new administrator does the trick. There may be something misconfigured in your current user - something that is getting in the way. Go to: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Unlock > Click: "+" > Create the new administrator

• Check Force Quit:

See if something is listed as "(Not Responding)". Go to: Apple Menu > Force Quit...> Select anything ending with "(Not Responding)". Also, which in Force Quit... be sure to select Finder, and Click "Relaunch"

Elsewise, see below about Reinstalling the macOS

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2020 10:02 PM in response to HelenaRymer

HelenaRymer Said:

"MacBook Air internal microphone only works for FaceTime: Until recently my internal microphone worked all the time. [...]If the internal microphone has stopped working then I can deal with that. But why on earth does it still work for FaceTime? Does FaceTime somehow use the microphone differently to Quicktime?"

-------

Start with these Tips:

• Restart the Mac:

Perhaps you've unknowingly installed an update, and all needs to rest. For, restart the Mac. See if it then works.

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Sound) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

• Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with all settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

• Create a New Administrator:

See if creating and logging in as a new administrator does the trick. There may be something misconfigured in your current user - something that is getting in the way. Go to: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Unlock > Click: "+" > Create the new administrator

• Check Force Quit:

See if something is listed as "(Not Responding)". Go to: Apple Menu > Force Quit...> Select anything ending with "(Not Responding)". Also, which in Force Quit... be sure to select Finder, and Click "Relaunch"

Elsewise, see below about Reinstalling the macOS

Jun 6, 2020 10:03 PM in response to HelenaRymer

"HelenaRymer Said:

"MacBook Air internal microphone only works for FaceTime: Until recently my internal microphone worked all the time.

-------

If My Above Reply Does Not Work:

Reinstall the Mac OS, but Back Up First:

This has been reported many times on these forums. So, the next update might fix this, if you were to use Catalina. Nothing would be lost. It’s just that missing system files and corrupt settings, would be reinstalled and repaired, respectively.

How to:

1. Back up the Mac:

First, Back up your Mac with Time Machine

2. Reinstall the MacOS.

Next, reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery. Boot holding: [Command + R], as mentioned in the link.

MacBook Air internal microphone only works for FaceTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.