Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari doesn't auto-refresh

I read a lot in a forum where the different threads automatically disappear when they are read. This worked properly until a while ago, and it still works on my iPhone. But on my MacBook, I have to manually refresh the page each time. I was hoping this issue when I updated to Safari 13.1.1, but it still behaves the same.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 2:36 AM

7 replies

Jun 7, 2020 10:58 AM in response to Ernst Vikne

Try another browser as a test.

Firefox        10.9 or higher.     

Opera Browser        10.9 or higher.    

SeaMonkey      10.9 or higher8.     

Waterfox          10.8 or higher.    

If running Mojave or Catalina, you can also try Safari Technology Preview. Go to Safari/Preferences/Advanced and check Show Develop menu in menu bar. Go to the Develop menu and select Get Safari Technology Preview. Open from the Applications folder.

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Jun 7, 2020 12:30 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you for the thorough answer.

I tried with Google Chrome, and there it worked as intended: automatic refresh when returning to the previous page. I haven't tried any other browsers yet.

I don't use any anti-virus programs or VPN. The only thing I use, is AdBlock, which I have tried to deactivate, without any change.

I downloaded and installed the Safari Technology Preview and tried with Safari – it didn't work.

I set ut a new admin account and tried with Safari – it didn't work.

I started in safe mode and tried with Safari – it didn't work.

From what I understood, I should only post results from EtreCheck if it worked in safe mode, so I haven't done it yet.

Safari doesn't auto-refresh

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.