Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot backup password

I got my Iphone backed up today, it was automatic backup when I connect my Iphone to my computer.

I don't remember putting any backup password on this phone.

But now itunes requires me a backup password, Apple Support seems not helpful, what can i do now?

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 7:13 AM

At some point you created an encrupted iTunes Backup and unless you turn that off when you made the newest backup, your computer encrypted the backup and iTunes assumes you know your encrypted backup password. Apple can't help, nor can we help you with that password as it's encrypted in your local copy of iTunes. If you can't remember it or you didn't write the number down, you won't be able to access the backup.

See this link for more information about encrypted backups --> About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

The bottom line is without the password, you won't be able to use the backup. But all is NOT lost. You can still continue to backup via iCloud and you can restore your phone or set up a new phone from an iCloud backup.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 7:13 AM in response to FrozeEzio

At some point you created an encrupted iTunes Backup and unless you turn that off when you made the newest backup, your computer encrypted the backup and iTunes assumes you know your encrypted backup password. Apple can't help, nor can we help you with that password as it's encrypted in your local copy of iTunes. If you can't remember it or you didn't write the number down, you won't be able to access the backup.

See this link for more information about encrypted backups --> About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

The bottom line is without the password, you won't be able to use the backup. But all is NOT lost. You can still continue to backup via iCloud and you can restore your phone or set up a new phone from an iCloud backup.

Jun 7, 2020 7:15 AM in response to FrozeEzio

The first time you backed up to a computer with Encrypt Backup checked it prompted for a password - twice. It then applied that password to every backup since that first one, even if years have passed since that backup, unless you specifically changed it. If you have a company email account on your phone backup encryption may have been required by the administrator, but you would still have had to enter the encryption key (password). It’s possible to make a new backup and change the encryption key. See this Apple support article—>About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support, specifically the section if you can’t remember the encryption password.

If you you enabled Keychain on your device when you entered the passcode the first time there was an option to save it in Keychain, so you can find it there.

The other option is to guess it. If you are like most people it is a password that you have used elsewhere. You get unlimited guesses, and to speed up the process uncheck Encrypt Backup or Change Password.

Forgot backup password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.