Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resting energy still being calculated when watch is off

I see resting energy/calories burned during the time my watch is off my wrist (i.e. charging) - how does the watch calculate this? Is it assuming I am doing absolutely nothing and burning calories based on my other info I provided?

Apple Watch, watchOS 4

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 7:48 AM

This is predetermined when you enterered your health profile on the phone and you entered your weight,height,gender etc.

Resting Calories

Your resting calories per day is the amount of energy (in the form of calories) that your body needs to function while resting. This is also known as BMR, or Basal Metabolic Rate. This number of calories reflects how much energy your body requires to support vital body functions. In fact, your BMR is the single largest component (upwards of 60 percent) of your total energy burned each day.

Basically, your body burns calories just by doing nothing, and this is the number those calories are.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 7:48 AM in response to bambimom

This is predetermined when you enterered your health profile on the phone and you entered your weight,height,gender etc.

Resting Calories

Your resting calories per day is the amount of energy (in the form of calories) that your body needs to function while resting. This is also known as BMR, or Basal Metabolic Rate. This number of calories reflects how much energy your body requires to support vital body functions. In fact, your BMR is the single largest component (upwards of 60 percent) of your total energy burned each day.

Basically, your body burns calories just by doing nothing, and this is the number those calories are.

Jun 9, 2020 9:34 AM in response to Community User

I'm not saying you're wrong in the biological sense - I'm saying if you take the watch off, instead of having blanks as energy burned, does Apple assume I'm using resting energy during that time? I'm not always charging my Watch while I'm resting - perhaps I'm exercising or doing something that requires more than resting energy; but to be fair, it's safe to say you're at least burning resting energy, so I have no problem with Apple making that assumption, if true.

OR is it using my iphone to track how fast i'm moving for example? If I'm moving at a rate that typically requires more than resting energy, then would the health app register active energy burned?

Jun 8, 2020 10:04 AM in response to bambimom

The post you saw saying 0 calories might be because the user was having a problem with their watch.

You can be in a coma and you will still burn calories in order to exist.

Resting energy still being calculated when watch is off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.