Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imoji screen problems

Somehow I got the following imoji screen when trying to compose an email and don’t know how to get rid of it. I tap the globe symbol to get the standard imoji choices, then tap keyboard to get back to the message I’m writing but the screen pops up again when I start to type. The only way to get rid of it is to delete Symbols in Settings. Please help!

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 4:04 PM

I think you should use the Edit button to remove Symbols Keyboard from the list. It will be active as long as it is there.

3rd party keyboards are normally in a separate section of the list you get when you tap on Add New Keyboard.

Normally 3rd party keyboards will also have an app icon somewhere on your screens. You might want to delete it there if you can find it.

It is somewhat disturbing if this app got onto your phone without you or any other person having deliberately gotten it from the App Store.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 4:04 PM in response to jimani

I think you should use the Edit button to remove Symbols Keyboard from the list. It will be active as long as it is there.

3rd party keyboards are normally in a separate section of the list you get when you tap on Add New Keyboard.

Normally 3rd party keyboards will also have an app icon somewhere on your screens. You might want to delete it there if you can find it.

It is somewhat disturbing if this app got onto your phone without you or any other person having deliberately gotten it from the App Store.

Jun 7, 2020 3:05 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Settings>general>keyboard>keyboards

I have no idea where It came from. The only imojis I have are those that came with the various IOS updates, or at least I know I haven’t intentionally purchased or downloaded any as I really don’t use them that much. BYW, I have the latest update..13.5.1. My sister first called my attention to the issue by telling me that keyboard popped up and she couldn’t get rid of it so I started to try to duplicate the problem. I’m pretty sure she wouldn’t have downloaded a third party app either. I do see Symbols as one of my listed keyboards. Perhaps it snuck in without my knowledge. Below are the ones listed as keyboards. I don’t have the symbols turned on due to a warning that what I type can be read by others.

Jun 7, 2020 12:59 PM in response to jimani

jimani wrote:

To my knowledge I don’t have any third party keyboards, only what came standard.

But I don't think Apple provides anything that looks like the screen shot you posted. I would guess that is from some 3rd party keyboard or app, perhaps called Symbols. They look like graphics rather than real unicode characters like emoji.

Where exactly was the "setting" you referred to earlier?

imoji screen problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.