Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is My system photo library is greyed out

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 8:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 6:36 AM

Usually it is because the current library is *already* the system library.

To test, start Photos with the option key held down. From the resulting dialog create a new library. When you are using the new library, the option should be available.

2 replies

Jun 7, 2020 11:24 PM in response to iamchandlerjam

When are you seeing the system photo library as greyed out? Are you not able to select it in the Library Chooser dialog? Or is it greyed out in the Media Browser, when you are trying the upload photos to a web site?What are you trying to do, when the library is greyed out?

To select photos for uploading in another application: To upload Photos you do not go to the Pictures Folder.

When the file chooser dialog appears, when you are trying to upload photos, you scroll down to the Media section in the sidebar:

• Click "Photos" below "Media", then select the Photos Library, when it appears. To the left of "Photos" will be a disclosure triangle. Click this to reveal the albums inside. This should work, when you try to upload to Facebook using a web browser.

To switch to a library to open it in Photos hold down the ⌥key while double clicking the Photos.app. The library may appear as greyed put, if you have opened it in a newer version of photos, then you are currently using. You cannot open a Photos 5 library in Photos 2, for example. The library needs to be on a compatible volume.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.