Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot drag and drop without using the option key

Has this changed? I've used Macs since 1988 and drag and drop is always the same. Now it doesn't work. I can only drag and drop if I also hold down the option key while picking and holding down the trackpad. Also, I cannot drag across text to highlight it. Can anyone help?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 8:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 10:12 PM

FYI - You only hold down the Option Key if you want to copy the contents of drag and drop. You can drag and drop by holding down the trackpad without the Option Key if you do not want to copy.

Furthermore, I am sure which method you used to drag and drop since, as we know, there are several. Were you using the double tap on trackpad on the window bar and then dragging and dropping with a single tap? (No depression of the trackpad). If the answer is yes the please see below-

Open System Preferences ➔ Accessibility ➔ Pointer Control (Left Column) ➔ Trackpad Options ➔ CHECK mark on Enable Dragging. (Shown in the image below).

Hope this helps.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 10:12 PM in response to Sadieoo

FYI - You only hold down the Option Key if you want to copy the contents of drag and drop. You can drag and drop by holding down the trackpad without the Option Key if you do not want to copy.

Furthermore, I am sure which method you used to drag and drop since, as we know, there are several. Were you using the double tap on trackpad on the window bar and then dragging and dropping with a single tap? (No depression of the trackpad). If the answer is yes the please see below-

Open System Preferences ➔ Accessibility ➔ Pointer Control (Left Column) ➔ Trackpad Options ➔ CHECK mark on Enable Dragging. (Shown in the image below).

Hope this helps.

Axel F.

I cannot drag and drop without using the option key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.