Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep original Photo Date on download to PC

I have lots of photos stored in iCloud from my iPhone.

Whilst using iCloud I can see the date of the photo was taken as the photos are organised by “date taken” by default.

However, I like to also download my Photos to my Windows PC where I edit and organise some of my collections. My first way of organising the files is by the date/time of each photo file.

When I download photos from iCloud, they are first added to a zip file automatically to make the transfer more efficient (I think). When I then extract the photos from the downloaded Zip file they have a new creation date of the date/time I downloaded them from iCloud.

Does anyone know how I can download files from iCloud, to my Windows PC, but keep the same creation date for each photo file?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 12:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 6:26 AM

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your reply - which helped me sort my problem out.

As an example, I had taken a photo on my iPhone and that photo was stored on my phone. In the Photos App on my Phone I could easily tell when the photo was taken. It shows the Date and time at the top of my phone screen.

However, when I downloaded the files, via the Zip folder, and extracted them to my PC I had a problem. Looking at the files using Explorer they were all showing the date and time that I had downloaded them from iCloud. Following your advice, I looked at the detailed properties for the Photo file and saw that there was a parameter of the file called Date Photo Taken which was accurate. Then I realised that the heading in the Explorer view was "date created" - which was the date the file was "unZipped" and the "file created" on my hard drive. By right clicking the column headings banner in Explorer I was able to add a column showing the "Date Photo taken" which was how I was trying to sort the photos. My problem solved....

Thanks you for your help....

Zack

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2020 6:26 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your reply - which helped me sort my problem out.

As an example, I had taken a photo on my iPhone and that photo was stored on my phone. In the Photos App on my Phone I could easily tell when the photo was taken. It shows the Date and time at the top of my phone screen.

However, when I downloaded the files, via the Zip folder, and extracted them to my PC I had a problem. Looking at the files using Explorer they were all showing the date and time that I had downloaded them from iCloud. Following your advice, I looked at the detailed properties for the Photo file and saw that there was a parameter of the file called Date Photo Taken which was accurate. Then I realised that the heading in the Explorer view was "date created" - which was the date the file was "unZipped" and the "file created" on my hard drive. By right clicking the column headings banner in Explorer I was able to add a column showing the "Date Photo taken" which was how I was trying to sort the photos. My problem solved....

Thanks you for your help....

Zack

Jun 9, 2020 8:05 PM in response to Zack-Greenman

Zack-Greenman,

I'm glad you decided to reach out on the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly you’re downloading your iCloud Photos content from the iCloud website and it creates a .zip file that you then have to unzip, which changes the creation date of your media as outlined in the Photos and videos section here:

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

I would try using iCloud for Windows to manage your downloads. Check out the “Download your photos and videos from iCloud Photos” instructions here:

Set up and use iCloud Photos on your Windows PC - Apple Support

This should allow you to designate a download location. When you right click on the photo for details, you should see the original creation date preserved.

All my best.

Keep original Photo Date on download to PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.