Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive Permissions

Hi, I've been using a external hard drive for a while with no problems. 

However I now can't make any changes on the drive. When I click 'get info' under sharing and permissions it states that I can only read. However in the privilege box it states I can read and write. I've seen a suggestion that involves clicking the cog in the bottom left hand corner but, unfortunately this has been greyed out. Can anyone help?

Please see screen shot above

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 1:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 9:17 AM

My thoughts

1. If you are using this external drive and have any data that you use please backup again before performing any changes.
  2. If you are looking for cross platform compatibility with Microsoft Windows / Linux. Format External-Drive with FAT or exFAT file system depending on the type/size of the files you intend to use.
    • FAT doen't support large volume or file size (32GB is max partition limit, single file size cannot exceed 4GB)

3. If you are using this External Drive only with in macOS systems then please see the link for more info: https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/disk-utility/dsku19ed921c/mac

Hope this helps to move forward.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2020 9:17 AM in response to sheph150

My thoughts

1. If you are using this external drive and have any data that you use please backup again before performing any changes.
  2. If you are looking for cross platform compatibility with Microsoft Windows / Linux. Format External-Drive with FAT or exFAT file system depending on the type/size of the files you intend to use.
    • FAT doen't support large volume or file size (32GB is max partition limit, single file size cannot exceed 4GB)

3. If you are using this External Drive only with in macOS systems then please see the link for more info: https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/disk-utility/dsku19ed921c/mac

Hope this helps to move forward.

External Hard Drive Permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.