Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external monitor flicker

I bought a new (my first) MBP 16" yesterday, and today first time connected it via HDMI (hyperdrive slim8-in-1 usb-c-hub) to my LG 1080p monitor (model 27MP77HM).

The external monitor screen flickers every 2 secs or so.

Ditto when I connect the MBP to a 1080p Panasonic 42" TV via HDMI. In the display settings on the MBP, the display is recognized by brand.

Any advise will help.

Thanks,

Joao

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 6:26 AM

Joaofdes,

Thank you for replying back with the updated information and steps taken to resolve the issue with your MacBook Pro.

In that case, our next steps would be to use safe mode to see if the issue happens there:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

If you're seeing that when using safe mode the issue persists, please consider adding the following details to your reply:

• Do you have another adapter that you can try?
  • Does the issue persist when trying a different Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port?

Have a great day!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2020 6:26 AM in response to Joaofdes

Joaofdes,

Thank you for replying back with the updated information and steps taken to resolve the issue with your MacBook Pro.

In that case, our next steps would be to use safe mode to see if the issue happens there:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

If you're seeing that when using safe mode the issue persists, please consider adding the following details to your reply:

• Do you have another adapter that you can try?
  • Does the issue persist when trying a different Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port?

Have a great day!

Jun 10, 2020 7:36 AM in response to Joaofdes

Hi there Joaofdes,

It sounds as though when your MacBook Pro is plugged into an external display you're seeing the external display is flickering. Being able to see your display clearly is important, I'd be happy to assist in seeking a solution!

Below is a resource that can help:

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac

This resource can provide quick checks and how to's that can resolve the issue.

If you need further assistance after checking out the resource above, resetting PRAM can help. Below is a resource that provides information on resetting PRAM:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Have a great day!

Jun 11, 2020 9:10 AM in response to Joaofdes

Joaofdes,

Thank you for replying back with the updated information regarding your MacBook Pro. If the issue returns after leaving safe mode, let's check to see if there are login items that could be the cause. Below is a resource that can be used to test your login items:

If your Mac has a blue screen or other startup problems

Additionally, it's advised to first make sure that you've installed any available updates for your Apple software and third-party apps. Below is a resource that can help with updating:

How to update the software on your Mac

Have a great day!

Jun 11, 2020 8:22 AM in response to Joaofdes

Hi MoonJ,

To add to my observation,

I re-started the MBP back into safe mode and the flickering stopped as expected.

Now however, I do not see the external drives (memory stick and SD card) connected via the Hyperdrive dongle, though the external monitor is connected via the same Hyperdrive dongle (I believe this is a good feature in safe mode).

Do you think starting the MBP is safe mode always is the best option when connecting to an external monitor?

Thanks,

Joao

external monitor flicker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.