Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mystery folders appear with same name as external hard drives - and they screw up access to the drives.

I have lots of photos saved on external hard drives. They are connected to my Luminar or Lightroom catalogues when the images are first imported. Occasionally I start up Lightroom and none of my photos can be accessed. When I go to reconnect an image I see in the search process a folder with the same name as my external hard drive. This folder cannot be seen in the finder so it must be invisible. But it does show up in the relinking process in Lightroom.

When I "get info" on this folder it takes a very long time trying to show the memory used by the contents but I have never seen the process complete. So I trash the folder and Lightroom once again can find the photos. When I try to open the folder no contents appear.

This has happened 3 times with 4 different hard drives.

Does this indicate some sort of hack being done on my computer or is there another explanation?

What causes these folders to appear. If it is a hack how can I prevent it?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 9:56 AM

Brian doubtful a hack, next time it happens...

In Finder's Menu, select Go menu>Go to Folder, and go to "/volumes". (no quotes)

Volumes is where an alias to your hard drive ("/" at boot) is placed at startup, and where all the "mount points" for auxiliary drives are created for you to access them. This folder is normally hidden from view.

Drives with an extra 1 on the end have a side-effect of mounting a drive with the same name as the system already think exists. Try trashing the duplicates with a 1 or 2 if there are no real files in them, and reboot.

If it does contain data...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2474

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2020 9:56 AM in response to Brian Townsend

Brian doubtful a hack, next time it happens...

In Finder's Menu, select Go menu>Go to Folder, and go to "/volumes". (no quotes)

Volumes is where an alias to your hard drive ("/" at boot) is placed at startup, and where all the "mount points" for auxiliary drives are created for you to access them. This folder is normally hidden from view.

Drives with an extra 1 on the end have a side-effect of mounting a drive with the same name as the system already think exists. Try trashing the duplicates with a 1 or 2 if there are no real files in them, and reboot.

If it does contain data...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2474

Jun 8, 2020 1:56 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for helping me understand what is going on. I really appreciate it.

I followed the Go menu to /volumes and I don't see any new folders with copies of the drive names at the moment, but I do see a folder for a Time Capsule I no longer have. I suppose it is safe enough to delete that.

When the extra folder IS there Lightroom looks there for the photos instead of on the actual drive since it appears higher on the list of volumes.

Mystery folders appear with same name as external hard drives - and they screw up access to the drives.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.