Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System slow - Safari hangs frequently while loading pages

I have noticed a slow down in my 2015 MacBook Air's performance. I downloaded Etrecheck and subsequently removed any AV software - namely CleanMyMac and Malwarebytes. The computer is still slow.

This is a fresh install (erased the drive completely) with my old data migrated back in. I realize I could have brought the problem back, but I'm not sure what it could be.

Only startup item is Dropbox. With a fresh startup I ran Etrecheck and show Other Process running at 110% of the CPU. I also see FileSystem - time out.

Any thoughts where I should look next?

Etrecheck report attached.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 2:54 PM

Ok, the reasoning behind trying with a new user account would be to rule out anything with your existing account that may have caused the performance issues. Apparently, that was not the case. Thanks for giving it a try.

I suggest trying steps 2, 4-6, and if needed, 10 in the following user tip article to see if they can help:

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2020 2:54 PM in response to dkalbach

Ok, the reasoning behind trying with a new user account would be to rule out anything with your existing account that may have caused the performance issues. Apparently, that was not the case. Thanks for giving it a try.

I suggest trying steps 2, 4-6, and if needed, 10 in the following user tip article to see if they can help:

Jun 13, 2020 2:47 PM in response to etresoft

I ran through and Un-Installed ALL 32 Bit programs and references that I could find (System Information)

Deleted ALL old and Legacy Applications. I still have mInstaller installed, this is a Final Cut Pro tool for Motion VFX. It should not be the issue

Here is a current Etrecheck report after Restart in SAFE MODE - Still see the SystemFiles timeout....

Also I will attach my syslog. It seems most people don't like these anymore - but I did find a few things suspicious.

Such as:

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by mds

-- and --

BUG in libdispatch client: kevent[EVFILT_VNODE] monitored resource vanished before the source cancel handler was invoked.

-- and --

Class SYDJournal is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SyncedDefaults.framework/Versions/A/SyncedDefaults and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SyncedDefaults.framework/Support/syncdefaultsd. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined

Both Reports Attached

Jun 24, 2020 10:16 AM in response to etresoft

I have been chasing this Etrecheck report for some time now. Everytime I run it shows Poor Performance due to Software

I completely ERASED my SSD - Reintsalled Catalina 10.15.5 from a Boot Disk - Enabled Full Disk Access - Still get the same issues - File System Timed Out - Poor Performance Software...

So I took it into Apple, they kept it for a day running Full Diagnostics. They say my machine is fine. They reinstalled Catalina from the Apple Store. I created a TEST account, I selected no options, even deselected Siri. Installed Etrecheck ONLY from the App Store, ran a new test and still have the same issues.

Etrecheck - I need you to reply here. I ran this software on an old MacBook Air, and a brand new Mabook Pro - both test well. But this 2015 i7 2.2Ghz 512G SSD computer does not, even after a fresh install from Apple.

Help please....

Report attached

Jun 8, 2020 9:20 AM in response to dkalbach

Two things that I can suggest:

1. Run the report again, but this time, enable "Full Disk Access". EtreCheck calls this "Full Drive Access." A bit confusing.
  2. Create a new user account. Log out of your existing account, and then, log back in with the new account. Do not restore any apps/data. Try using your Mac for a few hours. Does it still perform poorly?

Jun 9, 2020 6:11 AM in response to dkalbach

dkalbach wrote:

No Apps Running other than EtreCheck

Unless there is absolutely nothing listed under Kernel extensions, launch agents, launch daemons, user launch agents, and login items, there are always apps running.

I suggest you uninstall those two kernel extensions first. Then uninstall dropbox. And maybe install com.motionvfx.mInstaller.HelperTool.plist too. I don't know what that does, but you are running out of things to remove.

If, after all that, you still have a problem, then it is probably a hardware problem.

The file system test just creates a bunch of small directories and files, and then deletes them. At a file system level, that is pretty much all your machine does all day long. It normally takes 30-40 seconds to run. The test cancels itself it it runs over two minutes. Antivirus software and "sync" software are the software that seems most likely to interfere with these operations. Any kernel extension could do that too. There is no separation in the kernel between software tasks. Anything can interfere with anything else.

This is probably a hardware problem, but you won't know for sure unless you get rid of all the 3rd party software. Wiping the entire machine and reinstalling the operating system is a good test, but most of the time, people do a restore, as you did, and put all the 3rd party software right back. That's a waste of time as far as debugging goes.

System slow - Safari hangs frequently while loading pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.