Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud deleted file recovery

When moving files Lightroom Classic it deleted all reference to iCloud stored files on my Macbook Pro. Before I could recover them from iCloud, iCloud had deleted these same cloud stored files as well. Is there any hope for recovery?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 1:12 PM

Hi there, SantiagoSMA.

I see that, while moving files in Lightroom Classic, files stored in iCloud have disappeared from your Mac. You've checked iCloud specifically and couldn't locate them there. I'm glad to help with this.

Use iCloud.com -- Using a browser, log into iCloud.com and check the Recently Deleted folder in iCloud Drive. You'll find the link in the bottom-right corner. If they're not located in the Recently Deleted, then I'm afraid that they're gone.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2020 1:12 PM in response to SantiagoSMA

Hi there, SantiagoSMA.

I see that, while moving files in Lightroom Classic, files stored in iCloud have disappeared from your Mac. You've checked iCloud specifically and couldn't locate them there. I'm glad to help with this.

Use iCloud.com -- Using a browser, log into iCloud.com and check the Recently Deleted folder in iCloud Drive. You'll find the link in the bottom-right corner. If they're not located in the Recently Deleted, then I'm afraid that they're gone.

Take care.

Jun 10, 2020 2:33 PM in response to ryane77

Within 15 minutes of seeing the issue with Lightroom's deletion of the files I checked my iCloud account to see if they were still there. I did check the Recently Deleted area and the files/folders I was looking for were not there.

I have to say this changes my view of the utility of iCloud backup. iCloud as evidenced here is not a backup but a mirror. It it is lost here, it is lost there with no recovery.

Jun 11, 2020 1:06 AM in response to SantiagoSMA

I have to say this changes my view of the utility of iCloud backup. iCloud as evidenced here is not a backup but a mirror. It it is lost here, it is lost there with no recovery.

macOS and iCloud have no backup relationship as you mention. You can sync, in real time, some content, but it should not be considered a backup. You can't go back to a point in time.

Time Machine is the backup resource on a Mac.

iCloud deleted file recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.