Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme 3rd Gen dropping packets when connected to ISP's modem via Gigabit Ethernet. Works well in about 1 restart out of every 5 and lasts for about a day. I'm at my wits end, please I need help!

I moved to a new place and brought my 2009 Airport Extreme 3rd Gen (firmware 7.8.1) with me. It hasn't had any problems in over 10 years in my previous 3 places, but with my new ISP and its modem, I'm at my wits end trying to find what's wrong.

The problem:

In about one of every five restarts, when I ping the router while physically connected to the Airport Extreme via GE, I see this:

64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=216 ttl=64 time=0.537 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 217

Request timeout for icmp_seq 218

Request timeout for icmp_seq 219

Request timeout for icmp_seq 220

64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=221 ttl=64 time=0.655 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=222 ttl=64 time=0.497 ms

^C

--- 192.168.100.1 ping statistics ---

223 packets transmitted, 121 packets received, 45.7% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.459/0.602/0.997/0.092 ms

The fiber optic modem (Huawei HG8245H) has 4 GE ports, is set up in the living room where the fiber comes in, and is set as DHCP server and gateway. The Airport Extreme is set to Bridge Mode. I've already tried physically connecting them together using every combination of ports. Ports are OK, no luck.

I've also cabled the rest of the house with Cat5E cables and tested the cables are good: I've connected Mac and PC laptops directly to the modem and they have zero loss. Connecting the Airport Extreme to the modem on every room (and connecting laptops to it) yields the same result.

Continuously restarting the Airport Extreme will sometimes work (in about one out of five restarts) and things will look like this:

64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=177 ttl=64 time=0.487 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=178 ttl=64 time=0.497 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=179 ttl=64 time=0.542 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=180 ttl=64 time=0.473 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=181 ttl=64 time=0.710 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=182 ttl=64 time=0.699 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=183 ttl=64 time=0.574 ms

^C

--- 192.168.100.1 ping statistics ---

184 packets transmitted, 184 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.444/0.646/8.344/0.577 ms

When things are right, they stay like that for about a day and then it starts dropping packets like crazy and not connecting to anything. It's so bad, the Airport Utility doesn't even work when connected to the Airport Extreme's own wifi network.

I've performed a hard reset of the Airport Extreme about 4 times already. I thought decade old preferences could be to blame, but there has been no difference.

I've tested with only the modem, and one laptop connected physically to the Airport Extreme (just 3 devices), and the problems start the moment the Airport Extreme has been powered on, so I've ruled out medium saturation and buffer bloat.

There are no options to tweak LAN ports or IP framing or anything on either the ISP modem or the Airport Extreme, so I can't test that. Logs on the ISP modem and the Airport Extreme (using Utility 5.6.1) show nothing out of the ordinary.

I don't know what else to do. Can someone here help me out? Maybe it's time for a new router?

AirPort

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 6:43 PM

Does this mean my Airport Extreme is faulty and there's no way to fix this particular issue?

Yes, in my opinion. I never got more than 6-7 years of use out of any AirPorts that I owned before they started acting up. My current AirPort Extremes are 5+ years, so they will start heading South soon. I'll say again that you have had remarkably good luck with your AirPort.

Apple shows the 3rd Gen AirPort as an "obsolete" product in terms of support.

My next router will very likely be a Synology RT2600AC. The USB 3.0 port on the router fully supports Time Machine backups and other Apple protocols, so you can connect a USB 3.0 drive and in effect, have a much better product than a Time Capsule. My neighbor added this model a few months ago and reports that its performance blows away the most recent "tower" version of the AirPort Extreme. About double the WiFi range from the AirPort and much faster backups.

For what it's worth, this router topped the charts in the Consumer Reports router tests a few months ago.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RT2600ac

Some of the upper end Asus routers also offer Time Machine and support of Apple protocols.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1011283/

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2020 6:43 PM in response to PerpetuallyBaffled

Does this mean my Airport Extreme is faulty and there's no way to fix this particular issue?

Yes, in my opinion. I never got more than 6-7 years of use out of any AirPorts that I owned before they started acting up. My current AirPort Extremes are 5+ years, so they will start heading South soon. I'll say again that you have had remarkably good luck with your AirPort.

Apple shows the 3rd Gen AirPort as an "obsolete" product in terms of support.

My next router will very likely be a Synology RT2600AC. The USB 3.0 port on the router fully supports Time Machine backups and other Apple protocols, so you can connect a USB 3.0 drive and in effect, have a much better product than a Time Capsule. My neighbor added this model a few months ago and reports that its performance blows away the most recent "tower" version of the AirPort Extreme. About double the WiFi range from the AirPort and much faster backups.

For what it's worth, this router topped the charts in the Consumer Reports router tests a few months ago.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RT2600ac

Some of the upper end Asus routers also offer Time Machine and support of Apple protocols.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1011283/

Jun 8, 2020 5:11 PM in response to PerpetuallyBaffled

3rd Gen AirPort Extreme is at least 11 years old. Average useful life was about 5 years. The AirPort should have failed 3-4 years ago You have had remarkably good luck, but it is well past time for a new router.

If you want to gamble $25 or so, try a new power supply, as that is the only "user serviceable" part on the product. Estimate about a 1 in 4 chance that a new power supply will help.

Original Apple Airport Extreme Ma073Ll/A Mb053Ll/A Ac Adapter Charger Power Supply Cord Wire Oem$19.99Savingology.comNo tax

Jun 8, 2020 5:25 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I've taken good care of it. On the other hand, I had terrible luck with my 2011 Macbook Pro (AMD graphic chip died thrice).

I don't think I'll try a new power supply, so if the only way to make this work is with a new router, I'll start looking at models and prices. Could you please recommend me a good router that supports the features I relied on with the Airport Extreme? Like Time Machine backups, Bonjour Sleep Proxy (wake on wifi), and AirDisk?

Thank you very much!

Airport Extreme 3rd Gen dropping packets when connected to ISP's modem via Gigabit Ethernet. Works well in about 1 restart out of every 5 and lasts for about a day. I'm at my wits end, please I need help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.