Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Event timed out (-1712)

I get Apple Event timed out (-1712) when running an AppleScript set to go off at a certain time. This happens with 2 scripts which take less than 10 seconds to run. In addition I get the AppleScript icon in the dock with the name of the script/s causing the"error" yet the scripts run flawlessly.

What to do to get around this?

One of the scripts is listed below

Thanks

Running Catalina

display dialog "shut down soon" buttons "OK" default button "OK" giving up after 5

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 6:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 12:27 PM

I couldn't reproduce the problem - but also can't say that the problem lies with that line of code (I'm guessing your script does other stuff too). Also, it's hard to consider what 'display dialog' would do if the screen was off.

Have you tried replacing your 'display dialog' with 'display notification'? This is the preferred way of dealing with UI notices that don't necessarily warrant a response.

display notification "Shut down soon" with title "Goodnight"
delay 5
tell application "System Events" to shut down
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2020 12:27 PM in response to APPLEAL

I couldn't reproduce the problem - but also can't say that the problem lies with that line of code (I'm guessing your script does other stuff too). Also, it's hard to consider what 'display dialog' would do if the screen was off.

Have you tried replacing your 'display dialog' with 'display notification'? This is the preferred way of dealing with UI notices that don't necessarily warrant a response.

display notification "Shut down soon" with title "Goodnight"
delay 5
tell application "System Events" to shut down

Apple Event timed out (-1712)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.