Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase disk fails

My brother gave me his old iMac (24” early 2009 running on El Capitan). The Disk Utility in Recovery Mode is unable to erase the top level disk containing the Macintosh HD (and with all disks/volumes showing, ie.: Apple Disk Image Media which contains OS X Base System volume). The erase fails instantly as “Couldn’t unmount disk” appears in the Details text box. Why does this happen and more importantly, what can be done to resolve this? And least importantly, what are these other disk images I mentioned above?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 5:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 5:22 PM

Disk Utility will not erase the disk you booted from. To erase the entire Macintosh HD you will need to boot from an external drive. For example, an external bootable drive, a USB installer, a the recovery partition on a Time Machine drive, etc.

8 replies

Jun 9, 2020 6:01 PM in response to RAMSKULL

The erase fails instantly as “Couldn’t unmount disk” appears in the Details text box. Why does this happen and more importantly, what can be done to resolve this?

That is working as designed. How would you erase a disk that is being used?

Since a 2009 would not have a recovery partition, you can also use the original install DVDs that came with the Mac. Boot into that, erase your drive, and reinstall the original OS. You can then upgrade to El Capitan.

The other disk images are part of the OS and you should not and cannot use them - they are needed by the OS.

Jun 12, 2020 7:38 PM in response to padams35

Can I boot up from the Internet Recovery Mode? I didn’t get the Install DVDs from brother. Or could I boot up from the Install DVDs that came with my late 2009 12” MacBook? Or I also saved a copy of both the OS X upgrades I purchased for my MacBook before they became free updates starting with Mavericks. The first is the Install Lion which I put on a flash drive. The other is the Install Mountain Lion which I burned to a blank writable CD/DVD-ROM. Would either of those allow me to boot from?

Jun 12, 2020 7:39 PM in response to babowa

Can I boot up from the Internet Recovery Mode? I didn’t get the Install DVDs from brother. Or could I boot up from the Install DVDs that came with my late 2009 12” MacBook? Or I also saved a copy of both the OS X upgrades I purchased for my MacBook before they became free updates starting with Mavericks. The first is the Install Lion which I put on a flash drive. The other is the Install Mountain Lion which I burned to a blank writable CD/DVD-ROM. Would either of those allow me to boot from?

Jun 12, 2020 9:12 PM in response to RAMSKULL

As I said, internet recovery is not available on a 2009. And, no, you cannot boot from install DVDs of another computer because, in those days, the install media was machine/build specific. You can try and see if you can boot with either Lion or Mountain Lion - that may work, but it depends on whether or not you followed directions to make a bootable installer. If not, it probably won't work either.

Erase disk fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.