Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort adaptors/cables the same?

I’m connecting thunderbolt 2 on MacBook Air 2017 to HDMI on an external monitor via an adaptor. I understand that thunderbolt and mini displayport ports are different but when purchasing an adaptor, are the thunderbolt 1/2 /mini DP cables the same? If I buy an adaptor that says thunderbolt/mini DP to HDMI, will it still work? Or is there a thunderbolt specific HDMI adaptor that I need to buy?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 7:53 PM

If I buy an adaptor that says thunderbolt/mini DP to HDMI, will it still work?

Yes.

Strictly speaking Thunderbolt and Mini-DisplayPort are not the same but for connecting an external monitor what you propose will work.

Thunderbolt is capable of much more than just connecting external monitors.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2020 7:53 PM in response to Danzin_

If I buy an adaptor that says thunderbolt/mini DP to HDMI, will it still work?

Yes.

Strictly speaking Thunderbolt and Mini-DisplayPort are not the same but for connecting an external monitor what you propose will work.

Thunderbolt is capable of much more than just connecting external monitors.

Are thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort adaptors/cables the same?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.