Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie for High Sierra

Hi. I have a new-to-me MacBook that was previously installed with El Capitan. It's a mid-2010 MacBook "unibody" model that I purchased from a certified refurbisher. I needed to upgrade to High Sierra to get several of my software programs on another Mac to work. Anyway, I would prefer to use iMovie for video editing, but I cannot find a version that will allow me to download to High Sierra. There is no iMovie anywhere on this machine - it did not come with it, and I've searched everywhere and tried every version of iMovie from 6 through 10. None will work on this machine. Ideas?

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 8:52 PM

10 replies

Jun 10, 2020 8:52 AM in response to euph110

Due to license restrictions, iMovie is often removed from computers before transferring them to someone else. It can cause problems in certain situations where the recipient wishes to acquire iMovie.

In order to download current iMovie 10 you would need to upgrade to at least Mojave 10.14.6. Unfortunately, your computer probably is too old to upgrade to Mojave. So, your only other option would be to download an earlier version of iMovie 10, that you could do if iMovie 10 had ever been on your computer, but was deleted, provided that you use the same Applie I.D. that was used to initially acquire iMovie 10. If you do not have access to the original Apple I.D, then the option to download an earlier iMovie 10 version would not be available.

iMovie versions 7, 8, and 9 are not fully functional on High Sierra. So those are not options.

However, iMovie 6 should work on High Sierra, although it can be a little tricky to download and get working. I downloaded it when running El Capitan and it subsequently worked on High Sierra and Mojave. You said that you had tried iMovie 6 but couldn't get it to work. By that I take it that you have the iMovie 6 app and have downloaded it but it won't work. Correct? If so, try this procedure:

Applications folder>Control-click iMovie HD>Show Package Contents>Contents>Mac OS>iMovie HD.

iMovie 6 should then open and work fine. A terminal window also will open, and must remain open, but you can park on your dock.

A variation of the above procedure that eliminates the opening of the Terminal window was posted on another website by a person named Rolando. Here's a copy of his post if you are interested.

-- Rich

Jun 9, 2020 11:27 PM in response to euph110

What year model is your "other Mac".

Is it running Mojave or Catalina? Has it ever had iMovie ver 10 on it?

If your "other Mac" has iMovie 10 on it , then sign into the App Store on your "new to me " Mac with same Apple ID as other Mac and go to your Purchased page where you should see iMovie listed and download. You should get a message to say a compatible version for your OS is available.

When you say "and tried every version of iMovie from 6 through 10." does this mean you have actually tried the application on that Mac or that you can't download them to that Mac?

If you have tried iMovie 10 on "new to me " Mac ,how did you download it to it?

Jun 10, 2020 6:20 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

My other Mac runs Sierra. It's a mid-2015 MacBookAir. It's a work computer, and while I can access iTunes and the app store on it with either my work or home email, I have never purchased iMovie or anything else on my work computer since it was there when I received it a couple of years ago. I want to be able to make video tutorials on my refurbished Mac since if I use the work computer to create content, it technically belongs to the company. Long story, but I'm following company policy and copyright laws.

Because this refurbished machine is now running High Sierra with no other issues, it should be able to handle the latest version of iMovie 10. However, each time I try to download iMovie 10 from the App Store, it says that I should upgrade to OS 10.14.6. I've only had this refurbished Mac for a week and have no issues with upgrading to Mojave since I have only saved one document on the hard drive (and I have two backups of that in Google Drive and my email). Any other programs that I use will work on Mojave (I use Finale because I'm a musician, and I use Microsoft Office 365 with a family account).

Should I just go ahead and upgrade to Mojave? Thank you so much for your help!

iMovie for High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.