Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal Microphone Input Volume Issue

My input volume for the internal mics needs to be at 100% for me to be heard on video calls. My computer also automatically reduces the input volume without any prompt from me. All this results in people not hearing me on video calls.

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 10:02 AM

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

5 replies

Jun 29, 2020 5:48 PM in response to Eventkings

OK, we're down to long shots...

RichardFoo User level: Level 1 (4 points)

Feb 15, 2019 4:24 PM in response to TimsTech

I've been debugging a problem with my VPN client constantly reconnecting, along with poor WiFi performance. After much digging, I came across an excellent article - although written for Yosemite and iOS8, it still seems to be relevant to Mojave, especially with a newer WiFi chip in the 2018 MacBook Pro. https://medium.com/@mariociabarra/wifriedx-in-depth-look-at-yosemite-wifi-and-awdl-airdrop-41a93eb22e48

The author wrote a program that essentially just issues a command and keeps it enforced. You can try it manually in a terminal window: sudo ifconfig awdl0 down

To reverse the command, type: sudo ifconfig awdl0 up

He gives a great technical explanation, so I won't repeat it here. The command disables a virtual network interface that's used for ad-hoc WiFi by features like Airdrop; I personally won't miss them. So far, I've gone from losing my connection 20 times an hour to being stable for 3+ hours.

Jun 29, 2020 5:12 PM in response to BDAqua

Well, the mystery continues. There is no consistent scenario where the quality and volume of my voice has a recognizable pattern of not working properly. What I do know is that it only appears to be an issue on Zoom calls, mostly when there is more than 1 person on the call.

I also notice that the input volume changes automatically event though I have the setting on Zoom to not 'automatically adjust mic volume'.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Zoom and the issues are the same.

I logged into a guest account and did not appear to have the same issues other than the volume self adjusting. I also never was part of a chat group, so I was not able to completely compare apples to apples (excuse the pun).

I also have a laptop using the same wifi and it works perfectly. Any advise would be so appreciated.

Internal Microphone Input Volume Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.