Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't enable Altimeter Harvest system service on Apple Watch

Please see attached photos. For some reason I can't enable Altimeter Harvest on my Apple Watch, and the setting is nowhere to be seen when going into Privacy > Location Services > System Services on my Iphone.

Bonus question: It's not possible to enable "Status Bar Icon" either. Just curious how to do it if I'd like to.

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 6

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 1:56 AM

Hello! I’ve just faced this problem on my series 3 and I’ve found the solution. I’ve oppened “compass” app and allowed it to use location and then you have to go to settings on your phone, Privacy->Location services-> scroll to the bottom and press System services -> Scroll down to “product improvement” and toggle on Routing & traffic. That after i’ve done that “altimeter harvest” is toggled on.

I still cannot activate status bar icon on the watch even if i have turned that on, on my phone.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2020 1:56 AM in response to JWaldenback

Hello! I’ve just faced this problem on my series 3 and I’ve found the solution. I’ve oppened “compass” app and allowed it to use location and then you have to go to settings on your phone, Privacy->Location services-> scroll to the bottom and press System services -> Scroll down to “product improvement” and toggle on Routing & traffic. That after i’ve done that “altimeter harvest” is toggled on.

I still cannot activate status bar icon on the watch even if i have turned that on, on my phone.

Jun 15, 2020 7:03 AM in response to JWaldenback

Hey there JWaldenback,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re having issues enabling Altimeter Harvest and Start Bar Icon on your Apple Watch. I’ll be happy to help.

Make sure your iPhone and Apple Watch are both up to date:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Update your Apple Watch 

Restart both devices after this and then try again:

Restart your iPhone

How to restart your Apple Watch

If this doesn’t help, unpair your watch and iPhone, restart your iPhone, and pair together:

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch

Set up your Apple Watch 

Try again after this and see if this helps.

I hope this helps.

Jul 28, 2020 10:40 PM in response to JWaldenback

So I couldn’t find much about this either but I can tell you it had something to do with “Route Tracking” which I don’t think you can enable outside initial setup. My issue happened when I bought a new phone and paired my existing AW3 with my new 11 Pro Max.

to fix, I did an iCloud backup, unpaired Watch, paired Watch and first question was “Enable Route Tracking.”

problem solved.

Can't enable Altimeter Harvest system service on Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.