Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning off activation lock when the phone number is no longer in use

I need to turn off the activation lock on an old IPhone but I don't know the password to my ICloud account and don't have the phone number any more associated with that account to get a reset message sent. I need suggetions on how to handle this issue.

iPhone 5s

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 6:33 PM

You cannot turn off the activation Lock without the Apple ID and Password used to set it up. This is a theft prevention feature. If you can present Apple with the original receipt clearly showing the serial number, they may be able to help. Otherwise there is nothing we, or anyone can do to bypass the lock. Recycle the device responsibly.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2020 6:33 PM in response to CLWiltse

You cannot turn off the activation Lock without the Apple ID and Password used to set it up. This is a theft prevention feature. If you can present Apple with the original receipt clearly showing the serial number, they may be able to help. Otherwise there is nothing we, or anyone can do to bypass the lock. Recycle the device responsibly.

Turning off activation lock when the phone number is no longer in use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.