Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 Mac Pro hard drive not seating

Hello all...I have a 5,1 model 2010 Mac Pro, and I'm trying to add a couple of hard drives to it. The drives are from external drives that I tore down. They look like typical SATA drives and are Western Digital Caviar series 3.5".

They mount on the sleds fine, and slide in, but don't seat into the connectors. almost as if there's a misalignment.

Any insights?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 7:02 PM

There should be rubber washer under each captive shoulder screw on the sled. Mine are gray in color. You want them "just snug". If they wanted you to crank on them, they would not have made them puny Phillips screws, like #0 -- they would have made them Allen-head screws or Torx screws.

Similar questions

9 replies

Jun 12, 2020 8:16 AM in response to Kevin Babcock

It needs to be mounted on the sled to look like this:

Note how far it protrudes out the front, and that the gold fingers are up and to the left.

On drives over about 6TB, they sometimes reduced the depth of the screw-holes, and this can keep the screws from bottoming, and the washers from getting slightly compressed. Unless all the washers are compressed equally, the drive will not hang evenly and the connector will not line up perfectly.

2010 Mac Pro hard drive not seating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.