Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use 2008 Macbook as external monitor for new iMac?

I have recently upgraded to a 2019 iMac from a late 2008 13 inch aluminum MacBook. Is there an adapter that would allow me to use my MacBook as an external monitor for my iMac? My MacBook has a mini Displayport.

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 8:35 AM

Sorry, won't work. Mac notebooks were never wired internally to act as an external monitor like some iMacs were. iMac made since Late 2014 cannot be used as external monitors either.

Do you have an iPad? With a new Mac you can use an iPad as an extended display if the iPad is new enough. Please see:

Use your iPad as a second display for your Mac with Sidecar - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2020 8:35 AM in response to HintonScuba

Sorry, won't work. Mac notebooks were never wired internally to act as an external monitor like some iMacs were. iMac made since Late 2014 cannot be used as external monitors either.

Do you have an iPad? With a new Mac you can use an iPad as an extended display if the iPad is new enough. Please see:

Use your iPad as a second display for your Mac with Sidecar - Apple Support

How to use 2008 Macbook as external monitor for new iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.