Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sim is locked

My carrier spectrum told me to contact Apple to have my sim unlocked since the phone came from the apple store and not purchased through them. Is this the case or is my carrier not thinking correctly?

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 6:09 AM

Apple does not lock sim cards. And the only time an iPhone bought directly from Apple is locked to a carrier is if you chose AT&T as your carrier, and selected to pay for it with the AT&T Installment Plan. Then it will be locked to AT&T.

If its the sim card itself that is locked, then your cellular service provider needs to provide the PUK code to unlock it or a new sim card for you.

If what is locked is the phone, then no, Apple does not unlock Phones, only the cellular service provider it is locked to can unlock it for use with other carriers.

You can however call Apple, and they can tell you what carrier it is locked to.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2020 6:09 AM in response to Bhain93

Apple does not lock sim cards. And the only time an iPhone bought directly from Apple is locked to a carrier is if you chose AT&T as your carrier, and selected to pay for it with the AT&T Installment Plan. Then it will be locked to AT&T.

If its the sim card itself that is locked, then your cellular service provider needs to provide the PUK code to unlock it or a new sim card for you.

If what is locked is the phone, then no, Apple does not unlock Phones, only the cellular service provider it is locked to can unlock it for use with other carriers.

You can however call Apple, and they can tell you what carrier it is locked to.

sim is locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.