Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

even from my computer ipad will not update to current 11.0 ios system

Even using my computer from itunes, when I check for updates it refuses to update from 9.3.5 ios. it continues to say ipad is up to date.

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 12:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 2:19 AM

You own an over 9-year old, 2011 iPad 2nd generation!

These older 8 and 9-year old iPad models are too old, now, too underpowered and completely incompatible with any of the current and future versions of iOS/iPadOS.

If you need an iPad that can run the latest and greatest versions of iOS, as well as, the most current apps available, then, you need to purchase a new iPad from Apple or a discounted, refurbished iPad from Apple’s Refurbished & Clearance section of Apple’s Website or a new or refurbished iPad from an Apple authorised, third party retail or online reseller OR other trusted sources for new or used Apple products.

It is what it is, today, in the year 2020!

Sorry.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2020 2:19 AM in response to laverne100

You own an over 9-year old, 2011 iPad 2nd generation!

These older 8 and 9-year old iPad models are too old, now, too underpowered and completely incompatible with any of the current and future versions of iOS/iPadOS.

If you need an iPad that can run the latest and greatest versions of iOS, as well as, the most current apps available, then, you need to purchase a new iPad from Apple or a discounted, refurbished iPad from Apple’s Refurbished & Clearance section of Apple’s Website or a new or refurbished iPad from an Apple authorised, third party retail or online reseller OR other trusted sources for new or used Apple products.

It is what it is, today, in the year 2020!

Sorry.

Jun 13, 2020 2:22 AM in response to laverne100

Your iPad2 can only be updated to iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models) or iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular models).

Apple ended update support for iPad2 in September 2016. Your iPad2 cannot be updated to iOS 10 or later major versions of iOS, as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements for new versions of iOS/iPadOS. This limitation cannot be bypassed - in addition to which, iPad2 is a 32-bit architecture device, whilst all recent versions of iOS/iPadOS are designed for 64-bit hardware platforms.

You may wish to consider that compatible Apps for your iPad are increasingly difficult to find - as third-party developers are increasingly dropping support for older versions of iOS preceding iOS11/12/13. As older versions of Apps are removed from the Apple App Store, you’ll not be able to (re)download or install them. As such, if you want or need to access most current Apps, requiring more recent versions of iOS, you’ll need to consider replacement of your iPad with a newer or current model.

Even the basic iPad7 from the current range of iPad models will massively outperform you current iPad2 - and is compatible with iPadOS 13 and the vast majority of current Apps.

I hope this information provides helpful clarity as to your available options - and the limitations of your current iPad2.

even from my computer ipad will not update to current 11.0 ios system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.