Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Film to different folder hierarchy?

I'm on Catalina. I've just copied a film from an external drive onto my internal MacBook Pro drive. This is an experiment to see if working directly on the internal SSD drives will be worth the effort of transferring, in terms of editing speed.

Of course this changes my Folder hierarchy. I tried to get it as close as possible, but those first drive name folders are impossible to duplicate, of course.

I reset my Storage Locations for this Film/Library. I closed and rebooted FCPX and this particular Film/Library. All the clips, everything are no longer linked. I remember once, a few FCPX versions back, that if I reset the Storage Locations, and then rebooted, FCPX would relink all the media automatically. This time I'm finding I have to do it by hand. Which is a nightmare of work. Big project.

Can anyone suggest a tip here? Or something I'm missing? Some way that I can have FCPX relink to the media in its different folder hierarchy automatically ... so I don't have to do it manually clip by clip, or group by group so to speak?

All ears, Ben

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 3:47 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Jun 13, 2020 4:51 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Duhhhhhhh!

Hahaha. Surreal. So I'm making this assumption that because I can see the folder hierarchy in the pop up window that I have to follow that folder hierarchy and link to that specific file. It never dawned on my I could highlight the Event and with a single instance reconnect everything. Thank you Luis! So this new plan I'm trying might work. I'm pulling a whole film off an external drive (one of those palm-sized drives) and dumping it onto the MacBook Pro SSD drive ... with the idea that I can edit it screamingly fast, master, then dump it back onto the original drive, and a backup drive, clean off the internal disc, dump in the next film. At last until I can get a ThunderBlade ... which is the next game plan if this SSD thing proves to be a lot faster. Touch wood. I'm watching that spinning beachball as FCPX relinks the 1500 files in this Library.

Thank you Luis, you made my day. I'm going to drive out into the country and see my niece and her husband-to-be's new house ... instead of sit here in the edit room linking files for the next five hours. Time to treat myself to some breakfast while the beach ball spins.

Jun 13, 2020 9:46 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Hi Ian,

I most always keep all my media and related project materials outside the Library in folders on an external drive. I work on really long projects with a lot of media. I've found that if all that media etc. is IN a Library then it takes considerably longer to load the Library and have it up and running. Whereas if the Library is kept streamlined, usually under a GB, it loads really fast and I can get to work, zing zing. Things may have changed, I've been doing this for awhile, maybe the Library now loads super fast even if it contains everything. If I'm working on a short project I'll sometimes keep everything in the Library.

Ben

Jun 14, 2020 9:06 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis,

So the relinking media worked great for the Final Cut Original Media. But when I went to relink the Proxy files ... even though it was the same step by step process, only choosing the Final Cut Proxy Media at the end ... the Relink Clips to Media Files pop-up window goes through 'verifying' all the files. And they all pass muster. But when I click the last 'relink' of the pop-up window ... nothing happens. No relinking happens.

I remember in the old days one couldn't relink to Proxy Media, FCPX couldn't do it for some technical reason. I'd assumed that they'd fixed that. Is it still an issue? Or is there something else I might need to do to have this work?

Holding my breath,

Ben

Jun 14, 2020 9:20 AM in response to Ben Low

You still can’t relink proxies. You could try rebuilding them. If everything is exactly the same including the file names, FCP will recognize the existing files and simply use them. If anything has changed you’ll have two sets of proxies.

Generally whenever you need to move or copy or do anything related to FCP media and organization you really need to do that from inside the application.

Jun 14, 2020 9:41 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Aha! So I put the Event in Proxy Mode. I highlight my 'Projects', and do a 'Transcode Media' and you are absolutely correct: FCPX is going into the Media folder and relinking rather than actually transcoding the media again. Bravo. And nice I can do it from the 'Projects' rather than the individual files.

For moving Films from one drive to another. Mmm. So if I have a Film on one drive and I want to migrate it into my MacBook Pro, or another external drive, I shouldn't do it with the Finder Window and then reset my Storage Locations in the Inspector window. But rather, open the Inspector window and make the change IN FCPX (Modify Settings) and then do a 'Consolidation' ... is that how this works?

So I don't use the Finder Window to move anything. I get FCPX to move the whole project from one drive to another by 'Consolidating' the media within FCPX. Right? Just making sure.

If that's the case, thank you most kindly Tom. Very helpful and appreciated. And you can rest assured if that's the protocol I will be doing it this way in future.

Ben

Moving Film to different folder hierarchy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.