Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage on my MacBook Air is sending from my email not my phone number

My iMessage is using my email to send messages from my MacBook Air, not my phone number. I have added my phone number to my Apple ID but it doesn't show up as an option in settings to choose it. Suggestions?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 6:09 PM

Adding a phone number to your Apple ID is not going to work just by itself. Two critical steps need to be taken.

1. Ensure that your iPhone AND your MacBook Air are logged with the same Apple ID.
  2. Ensure that Text Message Forwarding is turned ON and active on your iPhone.

Review the instructions in this article by Apple ➔ How to forward SMS/MMS from your iPhone to your Mac - Apple Support.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2020 6:09 PM in response to Isabella810

Adding a phone number to your Apple ID is not going to work just by itself. Two critical steps need to be taken.

1. Ensure that your iPhone AND your MacBook Air are logged with the same Apple ID.
  2. Ensure that Text Message Forwarding is turned ON and active on your iPhone.

Review the instructions in this article by Apple ➔ How to forward SMS/MMS from your iPhone to your Mac - Apple Support.

Axel F.

iMessage on my MacBook Air is sending from my email not my phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.