Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari - why so many bugs ? (YouTube etc.)

I wonder why Safari continues to have so many bugs ? (unlike most other browsers)

For example YouTube:

1) You can't play videos in 4 or 8k

2) Every now and then the video does not start, you have to reload the page

3) Every now and then video stops playback, you need to reload.

Many websites do not show correctly (in other browsers yes)

Why is this happening ?

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 5:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 5:31 AM

savita Said:

"Safari - why so many bugs ? (YouTube etc.): Now even no YouTube video can be started in Safari, I can reload 10 times, just black video screen, I switch to Firefox, playing immediately"

-------

Clear your Temporary Internet Files:

Boot into Safe Mode and then Clear your Temporary Internet Files of Safari:

• Booting into Safe Mode:

[hold down shift upon boot until the login screen appears]. See if this is still an issue. Safe Mode lets items run as default, without changes whatsoever. That is possible because caches of your macOS are temporarily disabled while in Safe Mode. If other apps have settings, then Safe Mode would place those app' preferences aside, while the blow is cleared.

• Clearing your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data. Whereas Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.  Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2020 5:31 AM in response to savita88

savita Said:

"Safari - why so many bugs ? (YouTube etc.): Now even no YouTube video can be started in Safari, I can reload 10 times, just black video screen, I switch to Firefox, playing immediately"

-------

Clear your Temporary Internet Files:

Boot into Safe Mode and then Clear your Temporary Internet Files of Safari:

• Booting into Safe Mode:

[hold down shift upon boot until the login screen appears]. See if this is still an issue. Safe Mode lets items run as default, without changes whatsoever. That is possible because caches of your macOS are temporarily disabled while in Safe Mode. If other apps have settings, then Safe Mode would place those app' preferences aside, while the blow is cleared.

• Clearing your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data. Whereas Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.  Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities

Jun 15, 2020 12:38 PM in response to savita88

It does the same on several older and new Macbooks around, so not sure about the effectivity of this procedure. And will it enable playing 4k videos in 4k resolution ? I think it is rather Apple who should clean all this and provide a serious browser ?

———-

Why this is Relevant:

Clearing your Temporary Internet Files would make Safari open each page anew. So, site-entered data, and selected items, would not be there, including YouTube in this matter. As Safe Mode, booting into to, items open as the would by default, with all preferences set aside. Also, Login Items would not open at login.

Update your Mac & Report this:

If Safari is not playing those videos, then check your Mac for updates. If 4K won’t play with Safari, but will on Firefox, then either check for Safari updates, or wait for the next update. This has been an ongoing bug; one posted on the forums quite bit.

So,...

Do your Part — Report it to Apple:

So, provide your feedback about this Safari issue. Mention what you been through, and how you have gone about troubleshooting it thus far.

1. Go Here: Feedback - Safari - Apple
  2. Select: Bug Report” for the “Feedback Type
  3. Proceed from there as Necessary

Jun 14, 2020 11:06 AM in response to Yer_Man

1. In any other browser you can select 4k or 8k resolution of youtube video. In Safari the same video ends with HD only

See the same video in Safari and Firefox (the same for 4k)

2 I have extremely quick internet connection here ... Yet half of youtube videos start only at second reload .. (unlike Firefox or Chrome where this never happens)

Jun 18, 2020 4:03 AM in response to savita88

No 4K/8K on YouTube is not a bug, but rather some deliberate decision. Safari does not support VP9 video codec used by Google. Might be hardware acceleration concern (YouTube 4K is quite power hungry on Chrome) or some licensing/administrative reason.

I got annoyed with this too, so I made a Safari extension to check for 4K quality. Look up 4Ktube.

Other things you mention look like bugs or network issues, though. If you enable Developer mode in Safari preference you might check for error messages on the page.

Safari - why so many bugs ? (YouTube etc.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.