Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac target mode.

Hi, I have a late 2013 iMac with High Sierra and whatever I do I cant get it to work in Target mode, whether I connect it to another iMac or a windows machine. Ive tried all of the options above. Has anyone else any ideas anyone?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 8:29 AM

6 replies

Jun 14, 2020 9:40 AM in response to TheYesRunner

What cable are you using?

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

Jun 14, 2020 9:50 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you. Having read that I can connect my iMac to a Windows-based machine, I purchased the following. My present 'working-from-home' situation require me to work on both In both Mac and Windows environments, both with two screens. I thought this may help – or have I not got the correct 'thing'? I'm running High Sierra.

UGREEN Mini Displayport to Displayport Cable, Mini DP Thunderbolt 2 to DP Male to Male Cable Gold-Plated Cord Audio and Video Cable Support 4K@60Hz (2M, Black)

(from Amazon)

Thanks again.

Pete

Jun 14, 2020 1:07 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you all very much, I had clearly missed a few critical facts when I did my research. I have a separate monitor for the PC but was trying to save having to set up four monitors (two for the Mac and two for the PC) during this 'working at home' era where space is of a premium.

Thanks again all. Next time I'll ask before I assume.

Best regards

iMac target mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.