Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why do i have duplicate contacts on my iPhone ios13

why do i have duplicate contacts on my iPhone and how do I remove them and keep them form reacuring?

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 1:50 PM

Duplicate contacts on your iPhone can occur as the result of using iCloud.

In rare instances, your contacts may be duplicated within iCloud due to an issue with the service itself. This is the worst case scenario, because it cannot be resolved without assistance. Check to see if you have duplicate iCloud contacts by signing in to the iCloud website. If you have duplicate contacts, and you cannot determine the cause, contact Apple Support to resolve the issue.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2020 1:50 PM in response to jamesfromsherman

Duplicate contacts on your iPhone can occur as the result of using iCloud.

In rare instances, your contacts may be duplicated within iCloud due to an issue with the service itself. This is the worst case scenario, because it cannot be resolved without assistance. Check to see if you have duplicate iCloud contacts by signing in to the iCloud website. If you have duplicate contacts, and you cannot determine the cause, contact Apple Support to resolve the issue.

Jun 14, 2020 3:52 PM in response to jamesfromsherman

Do you have any other email accounts on your phone? If you do go to Settings/Passwords & Accounts and tap on each account. Make sure Contacts are off for all of them except the iCloud account. If that is not the source of the duplicates, and you are sure you don’t have duplicates in iCloud by logging in to https://icloud.com and clicking on Contacts, then do the following:

• On the phone go to Settings/[your name]/iCloud
  • Turn off Contacts. When you are asked if you want to keep them on the phone, say NO and wait for it to finish cleaning up. This may take a few minutes.
  • Just to be extra careful, restart your phone—>Restart your iPhone - Apple Support
  • Then go to Settings/[your name]/iCloud again and turn on the Contacts switch. This should sync the contacts from iCloud to your phone.

Jun 14, 2020 2:26 PM in response to jamesfromsherman

Do you see the duplicates in iCloud? If you don’t the most likely reason is you have more than one email account on your phone and you chose to sync the contacts from two or more email accounts, and you have duplicates.

If all of the contacts are iCloud and if you have a Mac open the Contacts app on the Mac, then go to the Contacts menu and choose Look for Duplicates...

why do i have duplicate contacts on my iPhone ios13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.