Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Imac keeps crashing, and I can't work out why

Hello everyone,

I did try and see if I could find similar questions, but keywords like "black out" and "crash" brought up threads that were years old. Apologies if this has been asked before.

As the title says, my iMac keeps crashing. It's not doing a kernel panic (I have seen those a couple of times, so I know roughly what I'm looking for). With this, there are no words or anything - the computer just dies. Everything is fine, and then boom! Black screen. It restarts on its own, and then sits waiting for a password to sign back in.

Details about the Crashes

It doesn't seem to be 'tied' to an activity. The computer has crashed while I am away, and while I've been using it.

Even comparing 'unattended' and 'attended' crashes, there is no discernible pattern to why it dies. With the unattended crashes, time doesn't seem to be a factor. Sometimes I'll be gone for an hour and it hasn't restarted, while other times I'm only away for a minute or two making a cup of tea and it's black-screened and restarted. When I'm using it, I've had it crash while I'm watching Youtube, actively typing (Reddit messages, Facebook, Pages), and when I've been in the middle of reading a webpage.

The crash process seems the same. It black screens, the fans whir down, and then the computer restarts. It goes to a grey screen with a black Apple logo and a black loading bar, and - after loading - it goes to the normal password login screen.

The only thing I have noticed is that the computer almost always seems to have reset overnight while I'm sleeping. Not only that, but it will usually need three or four cycles before it settles. So what I mean is, I come down and power it out of sleep mode, and it's crashed overnight. I sign in, it'll sign in, crash and reboot. I'll sign in again, same. Sign in again, same. And then, usually I'll sign in again and it will work.

Sometimes it can crash half a dozen times in the morning, occasionally it doesn't crash. The other crashes happen sporadically through the day - sometimes not at all, but usually two or three times in a day.

-----

Stuff I've already tried

This has been going on for some weeks. Obviously I have tried to fix it, but I haven't had any luck.

So far, I have:

• Reset the PRAM.
    • That got the computer to 'chime' again on start-up (which it had stopped doing), but otherwise nothing changed.
  • Reset the SMC.
    • Nothing.
  • Booted into the diagnostic mode, and did a check of the hardware.
    • That came back clean. I will admit, I only did the 'short' version. I had something I needed to get done, and didn't have time for the hour the Mac was saying a long test might take.

-----

Computer details

I know you'll need the specifications of the computer, so I'll give that to you now.

Reading from the About My Mac overview, it is a Mac 27-inch, Mid-2011.

Processor: 3.1 GHx Intel Core i5

Memory: 4GB

Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6970M

Also, I am using OSX Sierra, 10.12.6. I had been on an older version, but the computer kept popping up alerts demanding I update, and I eventually relented. It actually wanted to install High Sierra, but then said that it couldn't.

-----

Please help

As I said, I have tried everything I can think of to fix this. Various searches suggested it might be the PRAM and SMC, but resetting them didn't help. Then, I thought it might be the power supply, but when I checked the hardware diagnostic nothing came up. So I'm stumped.

I love the computer, and I had been intending to install more RAM into it. If I upgraded the RAM, I think I could keep using it for years probably - I don't particularly need anything more powerful, at least for now. But I don't want to spend money on new RAM just for the whole thing to (permanently) die on me in a month.

Would going back to an older version of OSX help? Is there something else I can try? Do I need to do a longer hardware scan in the diagnostic mode to check the power supply? Would sacrificing one of my siblings to the Dark Lord help?

Please let me know if there is anything I haven't done, and should try.

Thank you.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 10:17 PM

My guess (and I'm fairly sure) is it's your GPU failing. The 2011 27" iMacs with that GPU has a history of failures and your description is pretty textbook. Considering parts are not available and the computer is now pretty old I'd recommend getting ready to replace it very soon. If you want to spend money on it, you can but I would not recommend it. The most sure method is taking it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be professionally diagnosed but I'm pretty sure they will tell you the same thing I just did.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2020 10:17 PM in response to meaningless_username

My guess (and I'm fairly sure) is it's your GPU failing. The 2011 27" iMacs with that GPU has a history of failures and your description is pretty textbook. Considering parts are not available and the computer is now pretty old I'd recommend getting ready to replace it very soon. If you want to spend money on it, you can but I would not recommend it. The most sure method is taking it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be professionally diagnosed but I'm pretty sure they will tell you the same thing I just did.

Jun 14, 2020 10:27 PM in response to meaningless_username

Just to add, your iMac is considered "obsolete".

"Obsolete products are those whose sales were

discontinued more than 7 years ago. … Apple has

discontinued all hardware service for obsolete products, with no

exceptions. Service providers cannot order parts for obsolete products."

Jun 14, 2020 10:26 PM in response to rkaufmann87

GPU - so, the AMD Radeon HD 6970M. Okay.

I don't have the money to get another iMac. Out of work because of Covid, and I decided to take the chance to retrain for a different career, something I'd like more. Which will be great in the future, but leaves me kind of screwed now.

It's out of warranty, of course, so replacing it and putting more memory in it might be the best option. I'm finding the GPU for ~£160 on Amazon.

Not that I disbelieve you, but how come the hardware diagnostic didn't find that?

Jun 14, 2020 10:43 PM in response to meaningless_username

Sorry you are out of work, I'm sure that is a very uncomfortable situation.

The hardware diagnostic on Macs is simply not a professional grade diagnostic and frequently misses issues, this has been the case since Apple's Hardware Test app which has been around well over 15 years. In order to get anything meaningful and even then its iffy, you have to run diagnostics at least 3-5 times back to back in order for it to possibly find something. Running it once or twice simply is not enough.

Good luck on the computer and the career path!

Jun 14, 2020 11:05 PM in response to dialabrain

Hi dialabrain,

Oh right, I didn't realize that. Should i not have asked here then, if it's discontinued? Apologies if I did the wrong thing.

And thank you, rkaufmann. I may try the diagnostic again then. But as you are sure, I may not bother. There is a local computer repair chap so I'll go to him and explain. I also saw online that a guy claims he has a 75% success rate repairing this model of GPU by heating it?

I dont understand that, but I'll talk to the guy I know. With luck, the ol' gal has a bit more life in her.

And the job thing is tough, but i am trying to be positive. I moved back with my parents temporarily, so I am not homeless or starving. Compared to many, I am lucky. I have no right to complain, so I will just keep struggling on.

Thank you.

My Imac keeps crashing, and I can't work out why

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.