Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why pay for Apple TV subscription?

So... why exactly would I pay for a monthly subscription to Apple TV?

I have found nothing so far that's included with the subscription; even decades-old, oft-repeated programmes are charged.

It would appear I have to pay Apple for a monthly subscription, just for the privilege of being able to buy content?

Prime is less, has thousands of titles - many of them new - none of which I need to pay for.

Am I missing something..?

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 5:01 PM

As I stated initially, everything I look at is billable. The vast majority of programmes on Prime are included; I've found nothing yet on Apple TV that's included so far...

[Edited by Moderator]

6 replies

Jun 16, 2020 1:24 PM in response to [insert name]

Movies that say rent or buy are from the iTunes Store and not free. 

Your subscription is for Apple TV + 

Apple TV + is Apple Original content. It’s a channel found within the Apple TV App. The shows included in your subscription will have the tv+ logo on them - those are free with your subscription 

About Apple TV+ - Apple Support

Would you consider this Apple Original title worthy? Coming July 10

Jun 15, 2020 4:15 PM in response to [insert name]

[insert name] wrote:

So... why exactly would I pay for a monthly subscription to Apple TV?

I have found nothing so far that's included with the subscription; even decades-old, oft-repeated programmes are charged.

It would appear I have to pay Apple for a monthly subscription, just for the privilege of being able to buy content?

Prime is less, has thousands of titles - many of them new - none of which I need to pay for.

Am I missing something..?

Yes, you are missing everything. The subscription is for Apple TV+ which is Apple's original content streaming service. Apple TV+ is one of many steaming services available to you, just like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. The Apple TV+ subscription service does NOT provide you with free access to any and all content on the Apple TV app.

Jun 16, 2020 10:31 AM in response to [insert name]

[insert name] wrote:

As I stated initially, everything I look at is billable.

That is because you are browsing through the TV app, which will be including content from the iTunes store that requires a rental or purchase. Apple TV Plus is for Apple originals only, as previously stated, and this is not only stated within advertising and documentation but also the offer. Furthermore, you would be going into the distinct Apple TV Plus section to claim the offer, which shows exactly what is included within the service. There are currently 25 shows and 4 movies, with more added each month.

As far as Prime, it houses a back catalogue of licensed content on top of it's originals. Even then, it didn't have a lot on offer when it first started, and it also took time to build up it's library. It does not cost less, and the way the Prime app works is actually similar (with it housing their streaming service, other subscription 'channels' and a digital marketplace for rentals/purchases).

Why pay for Apple TV subscription?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.