Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I improve the speed of my MAC OS MOHAVE 15", 2018?

My MAC OS MOJAVE 15", 2018 seems to be running slow. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 5:38 PM

Here are some solutions you can try to speed up your Mac: 

1.Manage startup items. 

Reduce the number of apps that launch when you boot up. You can see exactly which apps are programmed to launch on start by clicking the Apple icon and navigating to System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items. In this list, you'll see all the items that startup with your computer. Check the boxes next to each app and click the minus button at the bottom of the window to remove them. 

2.Shutdown/restart your computer and let it refresh itself. 

3.Use Activity Monitor. 

If you want to see what apps are using up your system resource, open the Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Activity Monitor shows all the processes on your Mac (some of which you can’t or shouldn’t close) so click on View and Windowed Processes. Now click on the CPU button and the CPU column to list all programs by the amount of CPU they are using. 

You can also use this to see what memory, disk, and network processes are using up resources. 

4.Upgrade your Mac OS and hardware. 

Any optimization Apps cannot take your Mac to when you bought it. Because the running speed mainly depends on your Mac's hardware. In general, upgrading hard disk to SSD will boost your Mac system performance. 

5.Cleanup Mac's hard drive. 

You can cleanup your Mac's hard drive by simply deleting files on your computer that you're no longer using. It's the same as the numbers 6 and 7. 

• Delete apps that you do not use. 
  • Empty out your trash 

6.Uninstall unused apps. 

Some applications installed on your Mac your Mac are taking up space. You should uninstall them if you don’t need them—just open a Finder window, select Applications in the sidebar, and drag-and-drop the application’s icon to the trash. 

7.Empty cache files. 

Cache files are temporary data used to speed up the processes. Over time, these cache files take much storage on your Mac, and instead of speeding things up, they slow your computer down. 

To clear your user cache, do the following: 

1.Open a Finder window and select “Go to Folder” in the Go menu. 

2.Type in the following folders and hit enter to proceed to this folder. (Optional step: You can highlight and copy everything to a different folder just in case something goes wrong.) 

• ~/Library/Caches 
  • /Library/Caches 

3.Go into each of the folders and clean out everything it contains. 

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2020 5:38 PM in response to rdeanstahl

Here are some solutions you can try to speed up your Mac: 

1.Manage startup items. 

Reduce the number of apps that launch when you boot up. You can see exactly which apps are programmed to launch on start by clicking the Apple icon and navigating to System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items. In this list, you'll see all the items that startup with your computer. Check the boxes next to each app and click the minus button at the bottom of the window to remove them. 

2.Shutdown/restart your computer and let it refresh itself. 

3.Use Activity Monitor. 

If you want to see what apps are using up your system resource, open the Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Activity Monitor shows all the processes on your Mac (some of which you can’t or shouldn’t close) so click on View and Windowed Processes. Now click on the CPU button and the CPU column to list all programs by the amount of CPU they are using. 

You can also use this to see what memory, disk, and network processes are using up resources. 

4.Upgrade your Mac OS and hardware. 

Any optimization Apps cannot take your Mac to when you bought it. Because the running speed mainly depends on your Mac's hardware. In general, upgrading hard disk to SSD will boost your Mac system performance. 

5.Cleanup Mac's hard drive. 

You can cleanup your Mac's hard drive by simply deleting files on your computer that you're no longer using. It's the same as the numbers 6 and 7. 

• Delete apps that you do not use. 
  • Empty out your trash 

6.Uninstall unused apps. 

Some applications installed on your Mac your Mac are taking up space. You should uninstall them if you don’t need them—just open a Finder window, select Applications in the sidebar, and drag-and-drop the application’s icon to the trash. 

7.Empty cache files. 

Cache files are temporary data used to speed up the processes. Over time, these cache files take much storage on your Mac, and instead of speeding things up, they slow your computer down. 

To clear your user cache, do the following: 

1.Open a Finder window and select “Go to Folder” in the Go menu. 

2.Type in the following folders and hit enter to proceed to this folder. (Optional step: You can highlight and copy everything to a different folder just in case something goes wrong.) 

• ~/Library/Caches 
  • /Library/Caches 

3.Go into each of the folders and clean out everything it contains. 

Jun 17, 2020 10:18 AM in response to Pactricia666

Thank you Patricia666. I tried most of these, and the speed has improved a lot. I

I wasn't sure how to clean out everything in the cache files. I tried to open them by clicking "file" , "open" in Finder but nothing seemed to happen. However, the speed has still improved with the other suggestions. Obviously, IL am still learning how to operate this Mac.

How can I improve the speed of my MAC OS MOHAVE 15", 2018?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.