Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iFacetime

I received a FaceTime call from Japan and it says answered on a different device but I checked and it says my Apple ID is only hooked up to my devices and none of them are missing. I changed my Apple ID password just in case but how is this possible someone answered my call on a device that isn’t attached to my Apple ID?

iPhone X

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 1:59 PM

Hi,

If you have been to the iCloud page then your Accounts page that show the registered devices and you know that only the ones you are aware of are listed then it would seem to be very very unlikely.

Your phone number needs to include the Country Code which will isolate the number to just your device.

The other end also needs to do this.

They also need to have the correct Time Zone set in Setting > Date and Time as this is used to state where the Phone is situated.

IF... the Date and Time Zone Setting is wrong and only a partial number is entered then a "local" number based on the information in the registration will mean that they will in fact "call" the wrong person.

Add to that that they might in fact know you and be calling you and have your ID in the Contacts app they this "wrong" number and your Apple ID are both called to see which one answers.

The outcome will be that the "wrong" number answers but is in fact not in your Listed Devices and does not show up.

The most likely cause is someone has gone on Holiday and their phone is not where the Setting says it is and it has therefore call the wrong phone.

Ralph

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2020 1:59 PM in response to EmilyH1024

Hi,

If you have been to the iCloud page then your Accounts page that show the registered devices and you know that only the ones you are aware of are listed then it would seem to be very very unlikely.

Your phone number needs to include the Country Code which will isolate the number to just your device.

The other end also needs to do this.

They also need to have the correct Time Zone set in Setting > Date and Time as this is used to state where the Phone is situated.

IF... the Date and Time Zone Setting is wrong and only a partial number is entered then a "local" number based on the information in the registration will mean that they will in fact "call" the wrong person.

Add to that that they might in fact know you and be calling you and have your ID in the Contacts app they this "wrong" number and your Apple ID are both called to see which one answers.

The outcome will be that the "wrong" number answers but is in fact not in your Listed Devices and does not show up.

The most likely cause is someone has gone on Holiday and their phone is not where the Setting says it is and it has therefore call the wrong phone.

Ralph

iFacetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.