Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Software Update for PC

I recently noticed that the Apple Software Update app had disappeared from my PC. I tried to reinstall iTunes hoping it would also download, but without success. There are several third party websites offering to let you download it, but I hesitate to install any app unless from the App Store or the Microsoft Store.

Is this an app that will just automatically appear when iCloud or iTunes are ready to update, or is this another example of the everlasting saga of incompatibility between iOS and Windows? Thought by 2020 we were passed this point. Any guidance would be appreciated, thank you.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 10:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 4:14 AM

As noted there are two primary versions of iTunes for Windows. One is the old school iTunes(64)Setup.exe installer (in both 32- & 64-bit versions) which comprises several components, one of which is Apple Software Update. Others include Apple Application Support, Apple Mobile Device Support, Bonjour, etc. The other is the version delivered by the Microsoft store which will appear simply as iTunes in your programs control panel/settings and is what you would normally install in Windows 10. When using the version from the Microsoft Store updates are managed by Windows in much the same way that apps get updated in Apple's App Store. It is normally automatic and you don't have each developer running their own task checking for updates. This should be the preferred install for Windows 10, although occasionally I've advised people to try the other version as a workaround. Both should be available from https://www.apple.com/itunes/ - you may need to scroll down the page a little, click a link for other versions, then scroll up again.

tt2

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2020 4:14 AM in response to artbx

As noted there are two primary versions of iTunes for Windows. One is the old school iTunes(64)Setup.exe installer (in both 32- & 64-bit versions) which comprises several components, one of which is Apple Software Update. Others include Apple Application Support, Apple Mobile Device Support, Bonjour, etc. The other is the version delivered by the Microsoft store which will appear simply as iTunes in your programs control panel/settings and is what you would normally install in Windows 10. When using the version from the Microsoft Store updates are managed by Windows in much the same way that apps get updated in Apple's App Store. It is normally automatic and you don't have each developer running their own task checking for updates. This should be the preferred install for Windows 10, although occasionally I've advised people to try the other version as a workaround. Both should be available from https://www.apple.com/itunes/ - you may need to scroll down the page a little, click a link for other versions, then scroll up again.

tt2

Jun 18, 2020 6:45 PM in response to artbx

Hello artbx,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you have a question about using Apple Software Update on your Windows PC. I'd be happy to share information that may help.

Check out the "How to run Apple Software Update" section of this article: How to use Apple Software Update for Windows. When you used those steps to search for Apple Software Update, were you able to locate it?

You mentioned that you reinstalled iTunes. Prior to reinstalling, check to see that you uninstalled iTunes using the steps here: Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later.

Take care.

Jun 19, 2020 3:03 AM in response to artbx

I would not have joined in this discussion, except that I hate to see your problem unresolved and I'm curious about why there is an issue in the first place. (I'm not holding my breath waiting for an answer on the second point.)

There appears to be two different versions of iTunes; the Apple version from Apple, and the Apple version from Microsoft (i.e. the Microsoft app store). They appear to work in different ways, and never the twian shall meet! I have to confess, I don't understand what is going though Apple's mind with this. Nor to my knowledge do I have, or have ever had, let alone had to use, the Apple Update Software on my computer.

I followed Chris's link to the how to use Apple Update Software, but I'm none the wiser for the experience. The other of Chris's links refers to Windows 7, although I see nothing in your posts to indicate that this is what you'r using (and still puzzled as to why Apple insist on putting "Windows 6" into many users' signature space).

And yet...

I have Windows 7 and my iTunes is up to date with no issues.

I click on Help/Check for Updates inside iTunes and I see these two screens:

Does your iTunes programme have this option?

I can echo your thoughts though:

Thought by 2020 we were passed this point.

Jun 18, 2020 7:44 PM in response to Chris_D13

Hi Chris:

Thanks for your response. I read the article before and using those instructions, I cannot locate Apple Software Update on my PC laptop. I did remove and reinstall iTunes from the PC, and I believe I used Settings and not Control Panel. I'll try removing iTunes again, this time using the Control Panel and see if that brings it back.

I also use iCloud for Windows; I may also try removing and reinstalling the app, but will wait first to see if I have success trying again to remove and reinstall iTunes.

Again- never had this issue before on PC's I had in the past- but it's just recently I bought a new PC for consulting related work. Thanks for your help!

Jun 19, 2020 7:29 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks so much for taking the time for such thorough responses! I was thinking that the version from Microsoft Store was perhaps updated through Windows 10 updates and you've helped confirm that. Yesterday, I read someplace if you install any new Apple software in Windows that it would include the Apple Software Update app. I loaded Quick Time yesterday, and now it's back. However, as you noted, probably not necessary, and I didn't know that the different versions of iTunes carried the other components. All a good lesson, and thank you! I am not an avid Windows user- not a big fan, but I have issues with communicating to some team members with some design software (AutoCad) I use that works better in Windows 10 than on my Mac.

Again, many thanks!

Apple Software Update for PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.